xxv. promises

Finally, we made it to King's Cross. Once inside the station we lingered casually beside the barrier between platforms nine and ten until the coast was clear, then each of them leaned against it in turn and fell easily through onto platform nine and three quarters, where the Hogwarts Express stood belching sooty steam over a platform packed with departing students and their families. I smiled at the familiar surroundings, finally feeling at home. Only a year ago, my life completely changed.

"All okay," Alastor Moody muttered to Mrs Weasley and Tonks. "Don't think we were followed..."

Seconds later, Mr Weasley emerged onto the platform with Ron and Hermione. We had almost unloaded Alastor's luggage cart when Fred, George, and Ginny turned up with Remus.

"No trouble?" growled Alastor.

"Nothing," said remus.

Alastor and Remus gave their warnings and said goodbye as we all boarded the train. A warning whistle sounded; the students still on the platform started hurrying onto the train.

"He shouldn't have come with us," said Hermione in a worried voice, talking about Sirius.

"Oh lighten up," said Ron, "he hasn't seen daylight for months, poor bloke."

"I don't blame him," I mumbled under my breath earning a look of sympathy from Hermione.

"Well," said Fred, clapping his hands together, "can't stand around chatting all day, we've got business to discuss with Lee. See you later," and he and George disappeared down the corridor to the right.

The train was gathering still more speed so that the houses outside the window flashed past and we swayed where we stood.

"Shall we go and find a compartment, then?" Harry asked us.

Ron and Hermione exchanged looks.

"Er," said Ron.

"We're — well — Ron and I are supposed to go into the prefect carriage," Hermione said awkwardly.

"Oh," said Harry. "Right. Fine. I'll stay with Lottie and Ginny."

"I don't think we'll have to stay there all journey," said Hermione quickly. "Our letters said we just get instructions from the Head Boy and Girl and then patrol the corridors from time to time."

"Fine," said Harry again. "Well, I-I might see you later, then."

Ron and Hermione went off towards the prefect cart while Harry and I stood in the middle of the hall.

"Come on," I said to him, "if we hurry up we'll be able to save them spots."

"Right," said Harry, picking up Hedwig's cage in one hand and the handle of his trunk in the other. We set off down the corridor, peering through the glass-panelled doors into the compartments we passed, which were already full.

In the very last carriage, we met Neville Longbottom, his round face shining with the effort of pulling his trunk along and maintaining a one-handed grip on his struggling toad, Trevor. Neville said that all the only cabins had been taken except for the one with Luna Lovegood.

Sliding the door open, I pulled my trunk inside.

"Hi, Luna," said Ginny. "Is it okay if we take these seats?"

The girl beside the window looked up. She had straggly, waist-length, dirty-blond hair, very pale eyebrows, and protuberant eyes that gave her a permanently surprised look. I knew at once why Neville had chosen to pass this compartment by. The girl gave off an aura of distinct dottiness. Perhaps it was the fact that she had stuck her wand behind her left ear for safekeeping, or that she had chosen to wear a necklace of butterbeer caps, or that she was reading a magazine upside down. Her eyes ranged over Neville, then me, and came to rest on Harry. She nodded.