xix. saviour

As the week passed, Hermione and Ron practised the Impediment Jinx while I studied Herbology and Potions. Not being able to cast anything, every time Ron would try to include me in their practices, I would wave my fake wand and complain about not being powerful enough for hard jinxes. Lies after lies, Ron laughed commenting how I'm not good at everything while Hermione gave me a sad look, knowing it isn't my fault I can't practice.

"You know, it's all fun and games until you fail your Charms and Potions exam," I narrowed my eyes at Ron who laughed at my lack of charmwork.

"I s'pose you expect to pass by batting your eyes, yeah?" Ron shot.

"What does batting my eyes have to do with anything? I'm not fond of Charms, I rather create Potions and plant herbs and roots. There's nothing wrong with that," I seethed.

"I've never met a witch or wizard who isn't fond of Charms," said Ron very matter-of-factly.

"Well, open your eyes, Ronald, I'm right in front of you," I bowed in my seat.

Ron only scoffed at me and turned to Hermione, continuing to practice the jinx. Harry wasn't practising or studying with us because he was off preparing for his final task. Since he was a champion in the tournament, he didn't have to do any finals– lucky him.

After a few hours of studying, Harry came in with a load of books and a scowl on his face.

"Don't worry about it," Hermione said shortly when Harry pointed this out to us and said he didn't mind practising on his own for a while, "at least we'll get top marks in Defense Against the Dark Arts. We'd never have found out about all these hexes in class."

"Good training for when we're all Aurors," said Ron excitedly, attempting the Impediment Curse on a wasp that had buzzed into the room and making it stop dead in midair.

"Finally," I mused to Ron.

"What do you mean 'finally'? I've done it a few times!"

"Who said you'd done it?" I teased. My wand was still in my hands, making it look like I'd frozen the wasp in the air.

"Did not!" Ron's scarlet face knitted his brows in confusion.

Raising a brow to Hermione, her face broke out in a smirk, "No, Ron. She did. Watched her with my own eyes."

Harry had nothing to say being that his back was to me since he was talking to Hermione. The only one who was facing me was Hermione, so he lied to humble Ron.

"W-well, it was a matter of t-time that you finally got the jinx, Miss Doesn't Like Charms," Ron teased.

The mood in the castle as we entered June became excited and tense again. Everyone was looking forward to the third task, which would take place a week before the end of term. Harry was practising hexes at every available moment. He said he felt more confident about this task than either of the others. Professor Moody had warned Harry about how difficult and dangerous the last task would be. When Harry told us this, my blood chilled and my heart raced– fear hit me like a wave.

Tired of walking in on Harry, Hermione, Ron, and I all over the school, Professor McGonagall had given us permission to use the empty Transfiguration classroom at lunchtimes. Harry had soon mastered the Impediment Curse, a spell to slow down and obstruct attackers; the Reductor Curse, which would enable him to blast solid objects out of his way; and the Four-Point Spell, a useful discovery of Hermione's that would make his wand point due north, therefore enabling him to check whether he was going in the right direction within the maze. He was still having trouble with the Shield Charm, though. This was supposed to cast a temporary, invisible wall around himself that deflected minor curses; Hermione managed to shatter it with a well-placed Jelly-Legs Jinx, and Harry wobbled around the room for ten minutes afterwards before she had looked up the counter-jinx.