lxv. accidental unforgivables

Start from the beginning

"You guys are the ones who need sleep. No offence, but you two look terrible. I'm fine. I'll keep watch for a while. Where's my wand?"

Hermione and I didn't look at Harry.

"Where's my wand, Hermione?"

"Harry..."

"Charlotte, my wand!"

I bit my lip and looked up to Harry, who looked angry.

"Where's my wand?"

Hermione reached down beside the bed and held it out to him.

The holly and phoenix wand was nearly severed in two. One fragile strand of phoenix feather kept both pieces hanging together. The wood had splintered apart completely. Harry looked from me to Hermione and held it out to me.

"Mend it. Please."

"Harry, I don't think, when it's broken like this—"

"Hermione, we have to try. Lottie, please mend it!"

"R-Reparo."

The dangling half of the wand resealed itself. Harry held it up.

"Lumos!"

The wand sparked feebly, then went out. Harry pointed it at Hermione.

"Expelliarmus!"

My wand gave a little jerk but did not leave my hand.

"Harry," Hermione whispered. "I'm so, so sorry. I think it was me. As we were leaving, you know, the snake was coming for us, and so I cast a Blasting Curse, and it rebounded everywhere, and it must have — must have hit —"

"It was an accident," said Harry mechanically. He felt empty, stunned. "We'll — we'll find a way to repair it."

"Harry, I don't think we're going to be able to," said Hermione, the tears trickling down her face. "Remember... remember Ron? When he broke his wand, crashing the car? It was never the same again, he had to get a new one."

"Harry," I said softly.

"Well," he said, in a falsely matter-of-fact voice, "well, I'll just borrow one of yours for now, then. While I keep watch."

"Y-you two are better spellcasters than me," I cleared my throat. "Harry, you can use my wand tonight."

Hermione looked at me with tears falling down her face as Harry left the tent to go stand guard outside.

The snow fell softly in the Forest of Dean. Harry had gone for a walk; Hermione had gone to sleep; I was pacing around the tent. Harry had been gone for quite a while. Despite my better interest, I left Hermione, wandless, and went to go search for Harry who had Hermione's wand.

Trees swayed in the wind of the snowy forest as I followed the light footprints on the ground. With my wand tightly in my hand, I step into the footsteps towards a large clearing. On the side of the lake, I see two people; both tall men: Lanky and dressed in odd clothing. Pulling my hood up to cover my face, I walk through the thick trees, keeping my eyes trained on the men.

And with an accidental step, a twig cracks under my weight, near the two, and catches their attention. Both men raise their wands towards the trees where I hid. Slowly, they made their way towards me.

"Anything there?" I said a familiar voice say.

"Not that I can—" said the other.

"Accio wands," I thought and their wands fly out of their hands.