CHAPTER VI: Trial By Fire

Start from the beginning

Evelyn cleared her throat.

"They're holding —"

"— A trial for Eren. We know." Mikasa finished, knuckles white. "Those bastards think —"

"Cadet Mikasa Ackerman, Cadet Armin Arlert, and Cadet Evelyn Palid! Hop-to!"

An officer had wrenched the door of the mess hall open, him and two other soldiers. A clipboard was clasped in hand, and he read all three cadets' names from it like a list.

"Sir!" Mikasa affirmed, albeit in slight confusion. The room of voices fell quiet.

"You are ordered to act as witnesses in today's deliberation!" The officer continued, tucking away his clipboard and turning to leave. Armin sprung to his feet, Evelyn following haphazardly after.

"May the gods have mercy on Eren," she murmured.

THE COURTHOUSE RANG WITH voices and opinions alike. It was a beautiful place, the ceiling of which was coated in an elaborate painting. At the front and center of the room stood a sort of elevated throne where, supposedly, the judge would reside. Pews of citizens and soldiers all stood crunched together, the chatter and yelling all but overwhelming.

On one side stood the Military Police, the other the Scouts.

Evelyn took her place in the Survey Corp's section alongside Armin and Mikasa. A coil of hair wrapped around her finger as she surveyed the courtroom, the jumble of voices from hundreds of people echoing through its walls. From Wall Cultists to farmers, marketplace sellers to military personnel, people from all walks of life were there, hungry for a piece of Eren Jäger.

Evelyn spied Levi Ackerman and Erwin Smith among the front rows, both speaking to each other in hushed whispers. Her eyes lingered on the dark haired man for a moment before darting away.

And then a hush fell over the room, and the great double-doors were opening and Eren was being pushed through them and onto his knees and Evelyn's heart beat in her ears and in her throat and his chains rattled through the silent room.

The boy in question sat in a hunched position, head darting about frequently and eyes flitting from person to person rapidly. He glanced to Evelyn, Armin, and Mikasa, sending them a questioning gaze before returning to the center of the room. Evelyn could feel her heart pounding in her ribs.

General Zachary ascended to the wooden judges' seat, shedding his jacket and rolling his sleeves before settling down. He was a scruffy man, hair greyed with age and eyes wrinkled with mirth. He peered at Eren through a pair of circular glasses which perched on the tip of his nose.

"Alright," he said to the silent room. "Shall we begin?"

Eren stared on, perplexed.

Clearing his throat, Zachary handled a file of papers and began reading. "Your name is Eren Jäger, and as a soldier, you have sworn to give up your life when called to, for the good of the people. Is that correct?"

"Yes," Eren answered, the word leaving him thickly,

"As an enlisted soldier during a time of war," the General continued, "military doctrine demands your tribunal be held as a court marshal. As commander of our armed forces, this matter is left to my discretion. Thus, I will decide whether you live or you die."

Evelyn's hand found its way to her chest, as though a fist had clutched her heart. Armin's eyes glimmered.

"Any objections?"

"No, sir."

"Your astuteness is appreciated. Let us proceed."

A sudden pressure met Evelyn's back. Armin smiled softly, his hand a warmth in the cold of death and life and its precarious balance. She answered it as best she could and looked back to Eren.