five

TW: MENTION OF ABUSE

Five

Before her ultrasound, Ashton and Michael had brought Crystal and Kaykay to meet Kemper, which they had heard so much about. "They work in dentistry, that's why you haven't seen them," Michael told her.

"What's that?" Kemper questioned.

"We fix and clean teeth so people can have beautiful smiles, like yours," Kaykay told her, making Kemper giggle.

"I've never been to the dentist,"

"Maybe one day you can come and see us," Crystal offered.

"Only if you have bubblegum toothpaste," Kemper said, making everyone laugh.

"We do," Crystal reassured her. The five talked a little bit longer until they had to leave so Sierra and a nurse could give Kemper her ultrasound, which Ashton went with her. Ashton allowed Kemper to hold his hand while he also kept an arm around her. Sierra placed the cool gel on her, making Kemper's eyes water, but once the wand was used, Kemper bursted out crying from the pain.

"Please stop," Kemper begged as she squeezed Ashton's hand.

"It'll be over soon," Sierra told her as she moved her wand, but hit the most sensitive spot, which made Kemper cry harder. "Take a picture of the screen," she ordered the nurse, who nodded and took a picture. For another five minutes Kemper was in pain from everything, and Ashton was whispering encouraging words to her as she cried and wasn't listening to him.

"Alright, all done," Sierra said, feeling relief from not making Kemper in anymore pain. Kemper continued to cry, hiccupping as she tried to catch her breath. "I'm sorry, I know that hurt a lot," Sierra reached over and wiped the tears on Kemper's cheeks.

"I don't like this room," Kemper sobbed.

"Once you calm down we'll go back to yours," Sierra said. "I'm going to go check out these pictures and Ashton will take you back, alright?" she said and Kemper agreed. Sierra left with the nurse, leaving Ashton there calming down Kemper.

"What can I do to make it better?" Ashton asked, but Kemper proposed her own question.

"Why did Glenn do this to me?" Kemper whimpered. "Bad things always happen to me, it's not fair," hearing this broke Ashton's heart, no child should ever think this way. "None of my friends have bad things happen,"

"I don't know," Ashton kissed the top of her head. "But everytime something bad happens, it always leads to something good," Ashton said. "And I know one day that good thing will happen, and you won't always feel this pain and sadness," Ashton explained.

"I want a family," Kemper said.

"I know you will get one, I promise you will," Ashton said. "And that family will love you so much, and you will love them so much," Kemper nodded and rested her head on Ashton's chest. "I'll carry you back to your room so you don't have to walk or ride in a wheelchair," Ashton told her and Kemper agreed. He carried her back a couple rooms down and Ashton laid her back down and tucked her in. "I'm going to call Luke in and he can get you some pain killers," Ashton paged Luke as Kemper nodded.

"Can I please watch beauty and the beast?"

"Of course," Ashton nodded and turned the movie on. It's the only thing she has been watching, but no one cared. Luke came in quickly and saw that Kemper was clearly in a lot of pain.

"Did the painkiller help you a lot?" Luke asked, but Kemper shook her head.

"You need to give her something strong," Ashton said, "she was crying a lot," Luke nodded and gave her a larger dosage after inserting her IV.

"You might be dizzy, tired, and feel a little sick," Luke said after inserting the painkillers. "If you do just let someone know,"

"What about the ultrasound?"

"We'll get the results back tomorrow," Luke said. "Our shifts are about to end, do you need anything? Michael is getting you some food,"

"I'm not hungry,"

"Baby you have to eat," Ashton interjected. "You haven't eaten all day,"

"Fine," Kemper muttered. Michael and Calum soon came up with some food, and Kemper ended up picking a little at the mac and cheese and roll, but that was it. Seeing that was all she would eat, they gave up. They could also tell she was tired, which was a relief for them.

"Alright, are you all set for the night?" Calum asked as Luke tucked her in while Kemper held her blanket Ashton bought her and had her unicorn next to her.

"Yes," Kemper nodded. Each of them gave her a goodnight kiss, then left for the evening, promising to check on her in the morning. But like the night before, Kemper didn't sleep, and Sierra was there late to go through Kemper's ultrasounds after she went through others. Around ten she had finished, then decided to check up on Kemper. When she entered the room, Kemper was wide awake, rewatching beauty and the beast.

"Hey baby," Sierra greeted, making Kemper look over, "can't sleep?"

"No," Kemper shook her head.

"I can't either," Sierra admitted as she shut the door behind her and sat down on the edge of Kemper's bed.

"I don't like sleeping cause that's when I got hurt," Kemper explained, breaking Sierra's heart.

"I can stay with you," Sierra offered.

"You need to go back with Luke," Kemper said.

"I would rather stay here with you to make sure you're ok," Sierra told her. She got up and sat down at the visiting chair, leaning against the side as the movie played. "You can sleep, Kemper, I promise no one is going to hurt you,"

"Ok," Kemper nodded hesitantly. To Sierra's luck, Kemper had fallen asleep quickly and she soon followed and fell asleep.