CHAPTER 3•01

After All These Years

After the Jenora's ceremony, Dawn and Mako went off towards Republic City's downtown, walking around as they were embarrassed to start the conversation. Dawn looked up at a statue in the middle of the walk away, frowning at her grandmother's younger form. "Why is it so awkward between us?" Mako asked, Dawn chuckled at the statement and turned to face him.

"Maybe because it's weird how all the sudden we are 'destined' to be." She told him, using her fingers as air quotes.

It was weird. The both of them hadn't truly went into depth about their soulmate bond, one never having one and the other's who passed away before he could ever find her. "Do you not think we were?" Mako asked, the statement she made hurt him.

"Honestly?" She asked, waiting for him to give her a response, and took his silence as it. "I don't know. I've just come to terms with myself never having one." She muttered, biting her lip and looking him in the eye.

Mako rubbed his face, catching on to what she was saying. "You still don't have feelings for me, do you?" He asked and Dawn's eyes widened.

"Mako, that's not what I'm saying- -"

"No, it's not what you exactly said, but it was implied. Dawn..." he paused while laughing slightly. "I have liked you since the moment I looked at you. I might have been an ass, but my god, trying to get to you was harder. You were so focused on Korra and you have so much love to care for her over yourself." He stated, and Dawn blinked.

"Maybe that's because it's been my purpose since I was born!" Dawn yelled angrily, shaking her head. "You weren't pushed into this world were your number one job in life was to watch the Avatar, because of anything happened to her, I was going to be punished." She said, Mako sighing and grabbing her hand.

"Korra is fine now, she's safe with her parents and Katara and you're meant to help the world now while she heals. You were born for this, not just for Korra." He told her, Dawn letting tears fall as Mako wiped them away. "That's why you have me to lean on when you feel like you have no one. I'm here to protect you when you need it, you're not alone anymore, Dawn." He promised her, wrapping his arms around her and Dawn melted into his hold.

She held tightly onto his jacket as she felt the warmth of his body spread to her. The hole in her heart finally felt full, no more feeling like the black sheep of the family, and when she pulled away her eyes looked up to Mako.

He pushed her hair out of her face, smiling softly at her and Dawn could see the light golden color in Mako's eyes. She smirked and grabbed his hand while she pulled him along. "Where are we going?" He asked, the teen just rolling her eyes.

"Going to get some lunch and you're paying this time after all the times I brought you food to your desk." She stated, Mako chuckled as he pulled her close.

<><><>

After their first date, three years of Dawn and Mako dating, and the news of the couple were spreading like wild fire on a dry plain of grass. Dawn was questioned every moment she stepped outside, whether it was for questions about Korra or the juicy details on her new found soulmate.

The girl was tired of it, her job being to protect the Earth Kingdom that was now covered with bandits and the loss of a ruler and that left the girl to be alone with Mako or Korra.