Chapter 26

Chapter 26 ~ Rowan

I paced back and forth in front of the door, wondering if I should be here. I had plans. Kayla was gonna help me with my room.

But then again, I was about to spend time with THE Asa Butterfield. Who was I kidding? I wanted to do this. Suddenly the door knob twisted and I saw Asa, in jeans, and a plain red t-shirt. He looked good, his dark hair in that perfect quiff I loved.

"Hey! The family's gone, so I thought we could have a little movie night? I have some snacks." He cracked a smile and I did too, fake.

Anytime anyone mentioned food it made me queasy, especially calories that could be avoided.

"Nice. I suppose the movie's will all be starring the one and only?" I said, smirking and hanging my jacket. Asa burst out laughing.

"Don't worry. I just choose one with me." He said, and taking my hand, he led me into the living room.

Immiediately I was glad I had made the decision of coming. There was a few blankets and pillows on the couch, and a stack of DVD's near the big TV. The coffee table had a bowl of popcorn and chips, some m&m's and peanuts and two cups full of soda.

Fearfood fearfood fearfood fearfood
The voices screeched, pounding in my head. I tried to shut them down, but they only screamed louder.

"This is amazing." I breathed. Asa had lit a few candles and shut off most of the lights for a mysterious and cozy atmosphere.

"I'm glad you like it." He smiled, and we sat down on the couch.

Two hours later I was completely lost in the middle of an amazing comedy movie Asa had chosen when my phone started vibrating and buzzing. I jumped off the couch and grabbed it, pressing the answer button and started walking back and forth.

"Oh, hey mom!"

"Rowan! Where are you?" There was a hint of anger in her voice and I tried not to freak out.

"Uhm, I'm at Asa's." I said.

"When do you plan on coming home? What are you guys doing?"

"Movie marathon. Still not sure, how about I'll call you back when I'm ready?" I asked Mom sighed.

"Okay Row. Just be careful."

I hung up and went over to him.
"Mom. She's annoyed. What should I do?" I asked, as Asa draped his arm on my shoulder.

"Look. I don't mean to sound pushy but my mom wrote that I'm home alone tonight. Her and Loxie and Marley are staying at the party girls'. And the guys left as well. So it's just me. And I don't know Row...but do you think you could stay the night?"

I was taken aback by his question. I was 16! He wanted me to stay at his house, alone, for the night? I felt a nervous pit start growing in my stomach.

"Asa but what would I say?"

"Tell her I'll take you to Jenna's for the night or something. I don't know."

I felt my stomach flip. Lie to mom, and stay the night at a celebrities house. What if she found out? I was DEAD meat.

"Asa I don't know if this is a good idea..."

"Well...it's up to you. I, I won't hurt you Row, if that's what you're scared of."
He said, blue eyes suddenly softening.
He really did care about me.

"Tell you what. I'll tell her that I'm gonna stay some time and you'll walk me home. And I might fall asleep on the couch and yeah." I said.

"Sounds good to me." He smiled. I picked up my phone and called mom.

"Hey um mom? I'm gonna stay at Asa's for at least four more hours. And I was just wondering, if I get tired, can I just sleep on his couch?" I twisted a loose string on the blanket repeatedly, waiting for the silence to break.

"Oh Rowan I'm not sure you're 16.."

"Mom it's Asa. He's not like that. I promise."

"I...I guess. But try to get home if you can. And if you stay, well, be.....safe."

"Thank you mom! Love you, goodnight!" I said. She whispered a soft goodbye and the line went dead.

"There. She's not super pleased but it will do." I said, Asa pulled me closer, smiling.

"Well then, let's continue.

We watched 2 more movies, one of them being Ender's Game of course, and by then it was 11:00.

"I'm gonna stay." I said tiredly, grabbing my phone and texting mon that I'm going to bed.

Asa nodded and put in one more movie.

We watched for about half an hour, when Asa turned down the volume and looked at me.

"You know what Row? We've talked a lot, about ourselves and all, but I feel like I don't really KNOW you, like deep down." He said. I felt my stomach jump. Oh no.

"I'm not sure what you're trying to say by this."

"Just, I want to talk. But truly. You know how I feel about you and I just feel so distant."

I nodded slowly. I was scared. Should I tell him??

"So, I was three weeks premature." I said.

"My family is quite messy, like different dad and all." He whispered. I nodded, not saying that I've done my fair share of stalking and already knew. I could tell it's a touchy subject so I didn't say anything.

"Do you have a big secret? Like one you haven't told ANYONE, ever?" Asa asked. I sat up straighter, fixing the way my legs were laying across his.

"Don't we all?" I said laughing nervously, because I knew what's coming.

"Haven't you ever, like, wanted to get it off your chest?" Asa said. He was asking an awful lot of questions and it made me nervous.

"I don't know Asa...it's called a secret for a reason."

"Well what if we tell each other? Like I tell you mine you tell me yours?"

His voice sounded different and it was freaking me out. He's deliberately trying to get something out of me and it's not good, I thought. I sighed loudly and move a stray curl behind my ear. I looked at him, and he stared back. His eyes softened, and I felt a small voice in the back of my head tell me that it's time.

But another part said that I'll ruin it, all two years of it, watch it go up in flames and I'll be the fattest girl in the world.

"Asa but you have to promise. Promise not to tell anyone. Because if you do, well, I'll never speak to you again." I whispered. My voice was cracking every second and I couldn't help but worry. What if this is was all a giant mistake? Maybe I shouldn't tell him?

"Rowan, I promise I wouldn't tell. Ever. Look, even if it was something dangerous, I'd keep it a secret, try to help you out." He assured me, playing with my hair.
I relaxed my tense back and then realized what he had said. Dangerous, help me out. Did he
KNOW?

"Well you see the thing is Ace.."

I waited. He was silent. His hand had stopped twirling the curls in my hair.

"I'm anorexic."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
CAN YOU GUYS BELIEVE ROWAN TOLD HIM? THIS CHAPTER IS WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR FOR LIKE FOREVER!!
Yeah, so pretty intense
cliffhanger. I promise I'll take as little as possible days to write the next one I just need to come up with a FICTIONAL secret for Asa. Make sure to comment how you feel about this chapter!!
Stay lifted👌
~Tal