Chapter Nine

""It's impossible to keep fighting me," A low, silky voice hissed in the dragon shifter's ear. Dark green eyes gleamed in the darkness of a dream.

The shapeshifter flinched away, then whipped around to glare at the shadow, "I don't want any part of your plans. I just want to live my life in peace and protect my people." She growled, turning her head slightly to avoid looking at the shadow directly, "why do you think the Corrum families rebelled? They're as fed up with this as I am, and they don't even know about you. You were forgotten by time, and it should have stayed that way."

The shadow contemplated this before tapping their nails slowly, "But my legacy lives on in you. Who do you think you, the mythical people's precious Sanctuary Guardian, are descended from? I founded the place you protect, before it was stolen from me by my wretched sister." They suddenly smiled cruelly, "you are the blood of a monster. They know it, and you know it."

Teeth were bared in disgust as a fury started to burn in her eyes, "I've already chosen to leave your path. You murdered members of your own family for the gods' sakes!"

Their voice turned cold like the icy region they were trapped in, "no matter what you achieve, your time is running out, dear descendent." The shapeshifter growled once, then destroyed the dreamscape in a sharp crack of fury.

Arya blinked awake, shivering. That presence- what in the Guardian's name was it? Lilla opened one eye and looked at her worriedly, the curled up tighter on Arya's chest.

"Someone I unfortunately have to deal with through their allies from a regrettable chapter of our history. I felt it was important for you to see a glimpse of an old enemy," a calm voice responded, with a confident weight that spoke of a sureness of self, "hopefully she won't be an issue in the near future."

"How are you speaking to me? Who are you?" Arya looked around alarm. Holli seemed to be sound asleep on the other side of the room, and the room itself was dark.

The voice chuckled, "My name is Marian. Respond like I'm doing and do try not to wake your sister. She gets cranky when she's woken suddenly. I have few tricks I want to show you how to pull off. They'll come in handy in the future. Now sit up, close your eyes, and focus. What can you see?"

Arya listened skeptically for a few minutes, then sat up and did as she was told. Lilla snorted in annoyance as she was moved before hopping onto the bird shifter's lap. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, not entirely sure what was supposed to happen. A gray image of the world around her came to life, bright flares of silver in varying sizes appearing all around. They were present inside and outside, with a smaller amount inside. Woah. When in the Gods' names was I able to see this?

"You've always had it, your abilities are how you see others' emotions, fledgling. Now look at the inside of the house. Which ones do you think are your family members?" Marian spoke, her voice a comforting tone.

"What do you mean by that?" Arya blinked, responding confusedly, "the flares are all the same, except for size." As she spoke, the image disappeared with her focus. The bird swore under her breath, refocused, and it came back.

The ice dragon spoke again, ever patient, "let your instincts guide you. The same ones that tell you friend from foe will tell you who is who."

The bird shifter took the advice to heart and stopped actively looking. Turning slightly to her left, she saw Holli. Adjacent from her room, were Aaron and Kathrin. She frowned when saw six new flares appear just outside the entrance to the house, and she only recognized one. Iris. Further from the other six flares, two others were lurking around the corner of the house. The other three emanated menace, and she froze, opening her eyes. The gray world vanished, "...who are they?"