The Summer (Finale)

Hermione Pov

The summer zoomed by as we fell into a general routine. Most of our time is spent with Teddy in the library and in the garden. Draco decided that Teddy had too much energy and we had to make sure he used up as much as he could in the day. Around the full moon we noticed Teddy gets really agitated, twitching constantly but he doesn't turn into a werewolf pup so on those evenings we take strolls in the garden letting him roam as much as he wants. He's decided to keep his hair constantly blonde like Draco's and as it slowly became curlier he looked exactly like any child I would have in the future.

Ron appeared at the manor three days after the incident in the Burrow, by then I had already believed he wouldn't come so his arrival shocked us all. He explained that he was tasked with working with Filch in cleaning the entire castle, without magic. Draco started laughing and earned a kick in the leg. His apology was the most sincere thing I've ever received from him.

Blaise and Ginny got married on the twentieth of June. Bianca held an entire gala for them, we had hoped it would be uneventful but Fred and George decided to play a prank on Ginny charming her hair into an emerald green colour as she walked down the aisle, Blaise had to run over to  her and calm her down before she beat up the twins. He ended up charming his own hair into a red shade that didn't clash with his dark skin and said opposing house unity.

For our wedding anniversary Draco took us to Sanrio Puroland in Japan, (Hello Kitty Land). He said what's a better wedding anniversary than going to a theme park on the other side of the planet. Blaise and Ginny also tagged along for their honeymoon but Draco made Blaise swear they'd visit the theme park on different day from us.

One part of the routine was weekly dinners at the manor with my parents, the Lovegoods, Andromeda and Narcissa. Always eventful as Mum, Narcissa and Andromeda all insisted on teaching me how to cook and the way Mum did it always clashed with the way Narcissa or Andromeda did it so they tended to argue. Towards the end, Draco -who had spent every lesson watching our every move- decided that he would be a better cooking class teacher than the three women so he kicked them out and got out a cook book and taught me how to make five different meals in one lesson and then we went from there.

We started preparing to work at Hogwarts in August. We made arrangements with McGonagall to have a shared bedroom once again and for Teddy to attend Hogwarts with us with a ghost and all of the paintings assigned as a babysitters. Hagrid suggested that he could watch Teddy for us but that idea gave me too much anxiety to let him. Sorry Hagrid.

On the 31st of August, Harry visited us. Before we normally went to him but that day he decided to come to the manor himself. "Hey," he says awkwardly at the door. "I just wanted to see you before you leave for Hogwarts."

"You don't need to explain Harry," I laugh. "Come in, Teddy's coming with us you know, so it's your responsibility to go play with him now."

He nods and I lead him inside, I can feel how uncomfortable he is as he walks through the halls, "Calm down Harry," I say. "Nothing is going to hurt us."

"I'm alright," he mutters.

"Morning Potter," Draco says leaning on the door frame. "What brings you to not-so humble abode?"

"Hush Dray," I scold. 

"Just wanted to see Hermione and Teddy before you all head off, Ferret," he responds. From what I can tell, Draco and Harry have created a truce between them, I won't kill you unless you annoy me kind of thing. Neither are capable of killing each other but there is the threat of it. Harry spent about half an hour with us before leaving and promising to visit us in Hogwarts whenever he could. Draco responded with a please don't. 

In the evening, Draco calls me to the ballroom. When I arrive in the vast hall I find it is completely dark. "Dray?" I call out.

Suddenly, five floating candles are lit, floating in a circle with Draco in the centre in a suit. "I thought you'd like to have some fun before we start work." He waves his wand and my dress transfigures into a ballgown. I laugh then join him in the circle, "Well this is certainly magical, Dray."

He chuckles then he takes my hands and puts them in the right positions and we start dancing, "Dray, there's no music."

"Who needs it," he shrugs. "Just dance with me."

We continue dancing in the silence but somehow ended up with a rhythm, "If your mother were to stumble in here, she'd think we're mad."

"Don't be ridiculous, I got the idea from her," he laughs. "Father... he always wanted to do this with her but never felt like he could, cowardly as ever. So I felt it necessary to one up him."
Lucius had been permitted to send letters to Draco from Azkaban. The first letter arrived after our story was published in the Quibbler. 

He was furious, obviously.

He even tried killing himself at one point but Draco kept writing to him and got him to calm down, using him like a diary, just saying random things he did in the day. "He's still my father" Draco said once. "I didn't want to accept that for a long time but he has a right to know even if he doesn't respond often."

It really surprised me so I let him do it.

I rest my head on Draco's chest as we dance, "Thank you."

"For what?" he say surprised. 

"For just putting up with this for so long," I say. "We've been through hell and back and you've always been there for me."

"Not true but I understand what you're saying," he chuckles. "I've got a lot more to thank you for."

"Dray... you don't..."

"Hush Mya," he says mimicking the tone I so often use with him. "Thank you for putting me in my place that day, thank you for accepting me the next. Thank you for putting up with my insults and masks every day for years. Thank you for challenging me. Thank you for fighting back. Thank you for surviving. Thank you for taking in Teddy. Thank you for not hating me. Thank you for never giving up on me. Thank you for all the secrets you kept between us. Thank you for being born. Thank you for living. Thank you for loving me."

I see a tear slide down his cheek, looking like gold in the burning light, I reach up and wipe it away, "You're welcome."

~~~~

Settling into Hogwarts came naturally as usual. Draco and I are excited for our first class. We arrive early for the fourth year class and notice that there is only one chair. "I get the table," Draco says.

Students start flooding in and when they realise that both of us are here they start cheering. "Alright, settle down," I say.  "How many of you attended our duelling class last year?"

They all put their hands up and Draco chuckles "I guess you all know what you're in for." The cheer again. Looks like it'll be another interesting year.

The END

A/N It's finally finished! Wow! And we've almost reach 100k views as well. Thank you all so much.