"Well?" Buccaneer's voice interrupted her thoughts, and she watched curiously as Miles inched closer toward the three of them.

(Y/n)'s face contorted from annoyed, to confused, to guilty. Her tense posture slumped slightly, and even as shouts and yells erupted from just outside of the door, she looked completely lost in her own head- separated from the world just on the other side of the door.

She sighed, and when (Y/n) didn't give any kind of response for a few moments, Edward turned slightly to see what she was thinking. Her eyes flickered up to his momentarily, and she shook her head.

"I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I was not expecting something like this to happen," she started, glancing over at Winry and Alphonse. They watched her patiently, awaiting what she had to say. "I know what follows me because of who I am, and I know what kind of danger will impact those around me as long as I'm a target. I can't... keep apologizing for this stuff. As sorry as I am and as ashamed as I am for this to be what attaches itself to me, I can't apologize because it's exhausting to constantly feel sorry for myself- to feel sorry for something that I didn't ask for. You asked me who I am, and I- don't know. I mean, I am the Empath Alchemist, daughter of the Flame Alchemist, and you can curse that name as long as you remember it for the destruction I've caused. But I can't tell you why I caused this, or why I'm supposed to be what everyone expects me to be."

She stopped herself upon realizing that she was going off track.

"That's not- that's not what I'm trying to say. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, honestly. It's hard not to apologize when that's all my conscience is telling me to do. You just- need to know that I didn't want any of this. I don't want monsters to follow me and I don't fear to linger around me. I want to help people, I want to protect people and that's all I want to do. That's all I've ever wanted to do. I can't tell you who these creatures are or how they are related to me. Maybe you'll find out sooner than later. I don't know, but you have to know that I truly, honestly, just want to keep people alive. I never thought that would turn out to be so hard, just keeping the people I care about safe...

"If I explain all of this to you, you will die. And I will continue to lose more people close to me, and I'm sick of living in this paranoia. I don't want to constantly worry about the wellbeing of people around me anymore. So please, I am begging you, just work with me- trust me, because what happens next depends on your cooperation."

"Young alchemist," Miles said, lifting his hand and hovering it in the air in a gentle manner. He now stood beside Buccaneer, serving as the softness and understanding that the Captain refused to show. Miles' face was uncertain, indefinitely. But his crimson eyes showed his sympathy, and his willingness to comply with her without questioning. No matter how confusing this child would be to him, nothing would change the fact that she was still a child. Mature or not, every child displayed insecurities and fears. He was trained to pay no mind to it, for anxieties were open to both adults and children, but he understood. Her mind was not fully developed, therefore her head swarmed with more of these thoughts than that of a secure, adult military officer. "No need to explain any further. We understand."

"Do we?" Buccaneer scoffed, turning to face the Ishvalan officer.

"Look at her, Buccaneer. Do you really not believe anything she's saying?"

"That's not my problem!" he argued. "I don't like any of this."

"I don't care if you like it or not, this is the reality of our situation! Don't you get it? I'm telling you that people will die if you do not listen to me! Please, I can't deal with another death on my hands. I can't."

"Mustang, calm yourself," Miles eased. "It'll be alright. Just tell us what you need us to do."

(Y/n) inhaled and exhaled slowly, choosing to focus on Miles rather than the officer who was doing nothing but spiking her anxiety. She didn't notice the way his hardened features faded as her expression grew more panicked. Edward, on the other hand, was oddly silent. He looked at her carefully, keeping his mouth closed as the exchange occurred right in front of him.