"Yeah," Draco said, panting. "Right under your nose and you never realized!"

"Ingenious," said Dumbledore. "Yet... forgive me... where are they now? You seem unsupported."

"They met some of your guards. They're having a fight down below. They won't be long... We came on ahead. I - I've got a job to do."

There was silence. Harry stood with his hand over my mouth, preventing me from saying anything as my ears strained to hear sounds of the Death Eaters' distant fight. In front of me, Draco did nothing but stare at Albus Dumbledore, who, incredibly, smiled. Dumbledore sighed as if their conversation was tedious work, "You are not an assassin, Draco."

"How do you know what we are? We've done things that would shock you," Draco sneered.

"You almost killed Katie Bell and Ronald Weasley. You have been trying, with increasing desperation, to kill me all year. Forgive me, Draco, but they have been feeble attempts," Dumbledore said mildly.

"He trusts us! We were chosen for this," I cried out.

At his words, Draco thrust his arm and pulled back his sleeve, showing Dumbledore his Dark Mark.

"I'm not afraid!" snarled Draco, though he still made no move to hurt Dumbledore. "It's you who should be scared!"

"But why? I don't think you will kill me, Draco. Killing is not nearly as easy as the innocent may believe."

Draco said nothing but glare at Dumbledore.

"If you don't mind me asking," Dumbledore started, "how did you get your helpers here?"

Stepping forward slightly, Draco puffed out his chest, "the Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement."

"That cabinet has been broken for years."

"I've been mending it."

"Ingenious. Let me guess," Dumbledore mused. "It has a sister. A twin."

"In Borgin and Burkes," he scoffed. "They form —"

"—A passage, yes. Very good." Dumbledore looked from Draco to me and back to Draco.

"Yeah, well, you still didn't realize who was behind that stuff, did you?" sneered Draco, as Dumbledore slid a little down the ramparts, the strength in his legs apparently fading, and I struggled fruitlessly, mutely, against Harry's hold.

"As a matter of fact, I did," said Dumbledore. "I was sure it was you."

"Why didn't you stop me, then?" Draco demanded.

"I tried, Draco. Professor Snape has been keeping watch over you on my orders —"

"He hasn't been doing your orders, he promised my mother —"

"Of course that is what he would tell you, Draco, but —"

"He's a double agent, you stupid old man, he isn't working for you, you just think he is!"

"We must agree to differ on that, Draco. It so happens that I trust Professor Snape —"

"Well, you're losing your grip, then!" I sneered. "He's been offering us plenty of help — wanting all the glory for himself— wanting a bit of the action — Claiming to be protecting us, but wanting to be in the Dark Lord's good graces— This'll all be over and he won't be the Dark Lord's favourite anymore!"

I struggled against Harry and finally untangled myself from his hold. He wouldn't object to me jumping out from under the cloak or he would see seen.