Everyone has a Story

Ruby had asked me to join her to the market on my day off. She used to sell her knitting and tell people's fortunes. I said it would be a pleasure. We left early in the morning to make sure Ruby found the best spot on the square. People had already put up their stands and we passed vegetables, pottery, and textiles. Ruby chose a corner and I helped her to set up her things. Her clothes were a darker red and purple and she wore lots of beaded bracelets around her wrists. Her hair was wrapped in a scarf. She smiled as I examined her. "The crazier I look, the easier it is to find people who pay me for their futures." She said and laughed. I smiled. Ruby told me about her family while we waited for people to start coming. Her family were travellers, and most people did not accept them everywhere. They stayed no longer than a month at each place before moving on. One day, a group of men burned down their caravan and they had to settle in a close by town until they found a new wagon. Ruby had fallen in love with a factory worker, Tom. "He had the most magical eyes I had ever seen in a man", she said, and I watched her drift away in her thoughts. When the family was ready to move on to the next town, Ruby decided to stay. She married, but the man turned out to be just as every other man, incapable of caring for his money and a drunk. When he died in the war, she promised herself never to marry again. She had received her gift of reading people from her mother. She had never really enjoyed her heritage or gypsy background, but when she grew older, it was the only thing she had that was truly hers.

"Never mind my story. We all have them, some darker than others." She said and lit her cigarette after telling the story. I sat down on a barrel behind me and smiled at her. "I believe you know what I mean, Clara."

She looked at me and I sighed. Could she really know what history I had?

Ruby grinned and handed me a cigarette.

I focused on the red carpet. The covers laid softly thrown over me and my arm rested over the edge of the bed. Bruises stinged on my wrists and face. I tried listening to my breaths. I could hear my heartbeat in my head, and I could hear Tony's snoring behind me. The clock silently ticked from the room next door and my eyes tried to look around the room, but the slightest movement made my head sting. I could still remember his screams from earlier: "Your bastard, your poor bastard child. What are you good for? I should have listened to my mother. No gentleman should marry a woman like you. You bring me nothing!". His heavy hand rose into the air, and I turned my face away to avoid the strike. "Clara Blyth, you are a disgrace."

I woke up sweating and with a shallow breathing. I sat up and tried lighting the candle next to the bed. It took me few tries before I could light the match. I watched the flame grow and tried to calm down my breathings. The light threw shadows across the wall, and I peered out at the street between the curtains. The street was dark, but I could see dark figures walk across the street and hide in the shadows caused by the moon. This darkness couldn't hurt me. Nothing could hurt me anymore. Nothing could hurt me here.

Sally wanted to help me with my washing. We had met on the small courtyard behind my house. She helped me with the tub of water and to hang the covers and clothing.

"You know, I always wished to have a life like yours. Fancy and surrounded by real gentlemen" She said and fastened a clothespin in one of the corners of my sheets. I looked at her and she gave a small smile.

"I worked as a whore as you might remember. It wasn't exactly fancy." She gave a grin, but I could notice the sadness behind it. "Every night I dreamt that a man would come and save me, marry me and give me a better life. It... You lose yourself after a while. The drinks only take away so much and the rest becomes numb and darkness." She shook her head and put another clothespin on the sheet. "But then came Jamie. Jamie wasn't like other men. He was gentle. He didn't see me as an object for his pleasure only." I saw a smile spread across her face. "When he wanted to marry me, it was the best day of my life. His brothers thought it a bit strange, but they agreed it was exactly what Jamie needed. He wasn't made for business like Willy or Curtis. He needed a woman who could care for him and get some sense into his naïve personality. I Still struggle with that part. I hide some of the money he makes just to make sure he doesn't gamble it away every month. And I work some evenings at the pub to keep an eye on him now and then." Sally laughed and looked at me. I smiled at her. It sounded nice. "I guess I could call myself happy. I have a husband who I know won't do anything to hurt me, he is stupid, and I am sick and tired of him once every week, and I constantly fear that he will end up shot in these gang fights one of these days, but I can't complain. I believe this is as close to love a woman with my background can get. And I wouldn't want any other man in my life." She hanged the last sheet on the line and grabbed the basket over her hip.

Arthur had given me more freedom in the shop for each day that passed. He had let me take care of one of the fittings. A factory worker who needed a good suit. I had led him into the fitting room and pointed at him to stand over by the window next to the mirrors. He looked nervous and I smiled at him as he looked at me through the mirror.

"It's a nice suit, Mr Morrison. A special occasion?" I asked and pinned the parts of his jacket that needed adjustments. He tried to smile at me, but it only resembled a grimace.

"It's for my son's wedding. I need to look respectable because I haven't seen him since the war." Mr Morrison said, and I gave him a warm smile.

"I'm sure it will be a beautiful ceremony, Mr Morrison. And your suit will be perfect. You look really handsome." I said and it made him relax a bit. I did the last pins before examining him from afar.

"I think this will do. You can take it off and I'll have the suit ready before the wedding. When was it did you say?" I said and helped him get the jacket off.

"Next Sunday." Mr Morrison said and handed me the jacket.

"I'll have it ready before then, Mr Morrison." I said and folded the jacket in my arms before leading him back to the shop.

"Come back on Friday and it should be ready for you." I said and opened the door for him.

"Thank you, miss Blyth. You seem to be quite the contribution to Mr Macmillan's business. I'll see you Friday." He said and gave me a nod with his hat before walking away across the street.

As I turned around, I saw Arthur standing leaned towards the shelf behind the counter.

"Continue like this and I can retire early, Clara." He said and we both laughed.

"I don't wish to take over your shop, Arthur. But I am really happy to know you trust me and my work" I said and joined him for a cup of tea in his office.

This ain't the Place for Good Girls - (inspired by The Peaky Blinders)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara