𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

────── 〔❦〕──────

────── 〔❦〕──────

FEAR WAS THE immense feeling one got when they believed to be under threat, especially by someone or something dangerous. The immense emotion was not something Elara often felt — not really. However, fear was all that consumed her body within a six feet radius of Axel Ambrose. It was common sense that one should not fear their father, but the Ambrose man defied all the attributes a proper father should have been. If there was one thing Axel did really well in life, it was instill fear in his daughter about any man older than her — or in general anyone of the male species who either knew Axel very well or had interacted with him for a long portion of their lives. No matter how well she hid it, Ella was cautious around those selective people. This perennial was one of the most awful things to affect her.

Fear was not something Elara often felt when she was away from her father. But that unpleasant emotion was the exact reason her body went rigid and tense at the sight of Sirius Black. Fear and anguish coursed her veins. Her facial expression was the only thing that remained still — even as her fists tightened, or as her jaw clenched and her breathing hitched. The expression she put on was inscrutable.

The black dog Elara believed to be an actual dog was far from it. Pads or Padfoot as she liked to call him was an Animagus all along. It added to the mountain of betrayal Ella endured months prior. If this was what everyone's third year at Hogwarts brought, she'd never wish this experience upon anyone.

The Animagus form belonged to the one and only, Sirius Black. The same man, her maman and James Potter were best friends with at the time of their adolescence. The one who was the supposed reason behind the death of Lily Evans and James Potter.

The girl with oceanic eyes knew her mother believed the escaped convict to be innocent. It was as if Lilith de Fitzroy held onto a glitter of hope that Sirius was the same person as before. The boy with long black hair and grey eyes who had a complicated relationship with his younger brother and a hatred towards everything his family stood for, that he had enough courage to go against it. But also a boy full of laughter and mischief who deserved the entire world, and a life where he still had everyone he ever grew to love.

It's times like this one really doesn't know what to believe and what to consider the truth. There was a fine line between lies and truth, just as there was when it came to love and hate. At times Elara couldn't distinguish the difference between each — having been fed complete falsities her entire life that she fully believed to be the real until all was proven otherwise. She knew hate all her life — having felt it with Potter but now towards her father — albeit she never really felt love. Not the way she ever wanted to anyways. And with Sirius Black standing before her with now four wands in hand (having captured three wands with the shout of "Expelliarmus" from utilizing Weasley's wand) Elara wasn't sure whether this man was innocent after all. There was a grey area between fully innocent and fully guilty as well. The question was what area did Sirius Black fit into?