xvi. ascende superius

Start from the beginning

Now, it seemed as if the only struggle that remained was just the war going on inside Kota's head. You see, her thoughts were currently too focused on the many words Raven told her while she was still plagued by the A.I. The main one being the fact that what she said was actually correct: all those whom she had ever loved in some way, have died. So, it left her with the unmistakable anxiety that Octavia and her friends were the next ones to be a victim in the seemingly cursed dead pool that was her life.

Protecting them was now the only thing that mattered to her, and looking down at the brunette by her side in that moment only sealed the deal. Those blueish-green eyes that had once captivated her, now also made her grow nauseous with the ever-growing worry that the next time she saw them, could be the last time she ever saw them. That thought alone took Kota to a dark place she didn't want to be. She wouldn't ever let that happen. She couldn't. Her love was all she had left and she'd be damned if she let anyone or anything take that away from her.

________

Currently, the group was in the rover on their way back from the cave where Harper, Miller, and Bryan were supposed to be waiting for them. Since the three were nowhere to be found once they arrived, the group knew that it would be best to stop by Arkadia and see if they were there or if something had happened to them.

"Hey, there's one thing I don't understand." Clarke suddenly spoke up, gaining all of their attention as she turned towards the mechanic. "Why did ALIE want you to kill yourself?"

Raven thought for a moment, before realization quickly dawned on her.

"Because. . . I know why she wants the second A.I. It's the only thing that can stop her."

"Then let's stop her." Octavia chimed in, with a look of determination. "We survive together."

Kota immediately nodded in agreement, as she kept a firm hold on the flame. "She's building an army with Jaha. I think it's about time we build one of our own."

"How do you suppose we do that?" Monty asked her, to which she sighed.

"We have to get Luna to become Commander, which I know might not be easy, but with her on our side we'll have all of Trikru, and maybe even some from Floukru as well."

"Why can't you just take the flame?" He wondered. "You're Lexa's sister, you're a nightblood, and you've literally trained for it. Plus, you've already gained the trust and loyalty of the Grounders, right?"

Instantly, both Clarke and Octavia glanced up at each other knowingly, remembering that Titus' last wish was for them to get Kota to believe that she did have what it took to become Heda, no matter how much she doubted herself. That goal still remained, even if Kota didn't know about it. The odds of getting Luna to accept it were slim to none and they knew that. Hell, even Kota knew that. She just wasn't prepared, nor ready to deal with it yet.

Thankfully, Clarke quickly changed the subject.

"What did Becca write about the flame?" She questioned Raven, who was flipping through the former scientist's journal.

"ALIE 2.0" Raven corrected her, before looking up at everyone else in the rover. "She saw it as a way to atone for her sins. Designed it not to just access a human mind...but to merge with one. It could never wipe us out, because it would be one of us." Her voice grew quieter as she continued. "She put it in herself first. Altered her genes so her body wouldn't reject the implant."

"Bekka Pramheda," Clarke realized, causing Kota to immediately stare at her in confusion.

"The first Commander? What does she have to do with this?"