Rich Guys and White Lies

Veronica threw up her hands in frustration.
"Why is this damn computer so slow! All I asked of it was a simple background check but nooooo."
"To be fair, he is a rich guy. Every single one of them are sketchy. But hey, at least I have my entire afterlife to look."
"That's great Heather but at the moment I only have my one life and we're on a time crunch."
"Speaking of, does Jessie James out there remember that? He's been gone a suspiciously long time."
"Maybe he decided to head out?"
"Get real Veronica. Getting murdered gives you a sixth sense for trouble, and something's up."
"If it makes you feel better we can go check on him."
The pair didn't hear the computer ping behind them as they flew out the door.
Cyrus Fisher, 56
1 blood relative found
-
The car door was open. That's all Veronica could remember as she sat on the precinct floor. Open, open, open. Dull sounds of arguing and phones ringing fell upon deaf ears. Wide open with no sign of one Jason Dean. The only thing left was a small silver lighter abandoned on the concrete. He had been forced into quitting while in the ward but he could've easily taken it up again after being released. She hadn't noticed. God, if she wasn't so obsessed with solving one case maybe she wouldn't have created another.
"Mrs. Dean?"
"Yes?"
"We dusted the lighter found on the scene for prints and we found a match."
"Oh my god, who?"
"A cHaD Fisher, age 22. Do you know him? We couldn't find a current address or even a connection to your husband- ma'am? Ma'am?"
Open car doors. Cigarette lighters.  The room spun with pictures going faster and faster. God, it was so obvious!
"Somebody get a medic!"
-
"Sawyer. Sawyer! Veronica wake your ass up!"
"Chandler?"
"Obviously.  Get up, we gotta motor."
Veronica got up without protest.
"Listen, I found the connection."
"Between?"
"Lover boy's unceremonious snatching and the nut's murder. Cyrus Fisher."
"The one we were looking into?"
"God, you're such a pillowcase. Obviously! I found his last known address. We have to go."
"And how the hell do you expect us to do that, Heather? I'm part of an active investigation and this place is crawling with cops. They're not just going to let me walk out of here."
"Simple. They stuck you into the briefing room after your little spell, all we have to do is walk out the emergency exit."
"This is why we keep you around."
The two quickly exited once again. Veronica fumbled with the car keys.
"We have to go back to the complex first. I need to look into this myself since the cops in this town aren't capable of solving it."
"Better step on it."
-
His mouth tasted like cotton. That was the first thing JD noted when he woke up. Oh, and the fact that he was tied to a chair, which you would really think is a more pressing issue. But he was really thirsty. Apparently being choked out does that to you. God, his neck hurt. How the hell was he going to get out of here?
"Don't bother squirming, that rope holds tight. All you're doing is causing wrist chafing and not even from anything fun."
The face was feminine and familiar but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.
"Although if you wanted to do something fun.... that could be arranged easily. I'm sure your pathetic little girlfriend wouldn't mind."
She came into the light with that last word.
"Hello again Jason Dean. It's been awhile."

A/N- 👀👀👀
anyways good news I'm not dead but stuff happens yk? No guarantees on when the next chapter is out 😭
Bye! -N