╰┈➤ ❝ judging criteria ❞

JUDGING CRITERIA,

JUDGING CRITERIA,

All judges must abide by the following criteria below for the second round. You don't have to answer each and every question word for word but please make sure to get the point across for each section. Please remember that you must read at least 5 chapters of each entry, or 3 if it's short story or poetry. Keep in mind that we have the right to ask you to redo the review if we think minimal effort was put into it.

Novels/Short Stories:

(0/10 Points) Title ❞
Does it suit the story or go along with the context of it? Did it hook you? Was it a common title? Was it too long/mouthful?

(0/10 Points) Cover ❞
Does it fit well with the title and the story? Did it catch your attention? Would you want to read the book by only looking at the cover?

(0/10 Points) Synopsis/Blurb ❞
Does it convey what the story is about concisely without giving too much of the plot away? Does it hook you enough to cause excitement inside you?

(0/15 Points) Description ❞
Does it describe characters, setting, time, etc. without actually telling us and seeming like a documentary rather than a story? Was there too much telling and less showing? Was there too much showing and less telling? Were there any sudden info dumps? Unnecessary description or missing necessary description?

(0/10 Points) Plot ❞
Does it flow or make sense? Were there any plot holes? Does the overall scheme sound compelling?

(0/5 Points) Originality ❞
Does it have any unique elements that set it apart from other stories or cliches? Or is it just the same story we've heard a million times?

(0/10 Points) Characters ❞
Are they realistic/relatable? Do we ever find out about their hobbies/likes/dislikes/good or bad habits. Did they each have unique characteristics or perks? Did you, as the reader, connect with any of the characters or sympathize with them? Was there any development in the characters?

(0/15 Points) Grammar/Vocabulary/Spelling/Punctuation ❞
Does it follow basic grammar rules? Any repetition? Were there a heavy amount of grammatical/spelling/punctuation errors?

(0/5 Points) Structure/Page Layout ❞
Are description and dialogue paragraphs broken accurately? Or are they all jumbled together?

(0/10 Points) Overall Impression/Enjoyment ❞
Does it maintain your attention throughout the book? Keep everything interesting? Did you enjoy this? Would you want to read more?

TOTAL: 100

Poetry:

(0/10 Points) Title ❞
Does it suit the piece or go along with the context of it? Did it hook you? Was it a common title? Was it too long/mouthful?

(0/10 Points) Cover ❞
Does it fit well with the title and the story? Did it catch your attention? Would you want to read the piece by only looking at the cover?

(0/15 Points) Tone and Mood ❞
Does the tone go hand in hand with the mood? Do you think the author was successful in making you feel a certain way? Did you feel emotionally invested into the lyrics?

(0/15 Points) Message Delivery ❞
Is the author successful in delivering the message they wanted to deliver? Did their words make you feel a certain way or sympathize with them/the protagonist?

(0/10 Points) Originality ❞
Does it contain anything unique that sets it apart from other poetry? Is the message told in a way that is commonly heard? Or does the author really have a deeper understanding of their message of which they convey in a different way?

(0/15 Points) Grammar/Vocabulary/Spelling/Punctuation ❞
Does it follow basic grammar rules? Any repetition? Were there a heavy amount of grammatical/spelling/punctuation errors?

(0/10 Points) Structure/Page Layout ❞
Are stanzas broken accurately and in a familiar way? Is the whole layout a little too jumbled? Or is it too spaced out?

(0/15 Points) Overall Impression/Enjoyment ❞
Did you enjoy it? Does it make you really feel? Does it elicit the thrill the author probably wanted you to feel? Would you consider reading more by this author?

TOTAL: 100

ANY QUERIES?
Ask away in an inline comment!