bonus chapter: six

Start from the beginning

"That shit is crazy, right?" Carlos spoke, entering our room.

"Well, come on in, Carlos. I'm glad we weren't naked." Jackson complained.

Carlos smacked his lips.

"I've seen the inside of both y'all bodies. And judging by Sage's face, I'm assuming nausea is starting to kick in. Am I right?" He teased, smirking at me.

"No, you aren't. Not sure how you would be able to tell anyway within your thirty seconds of being here."

"I just got it like that, baby. More importantly, I'm not here for you. I'm here for my niece who I have yet to speak with."

"You passed your niece's room on your way to ours. In case you didn't understand, that means get out." Jackson stated, turning the TV off.

"Are those fighting words, Mr. Avery? I'll lay you out." Carlos chuckled, pushing up the sleeves of his hoodie.

"Who you got, babe?" Jackson asked, looking to me.

I chuckled, shaking my head.

"I'm not choosing a side. You are equally talented."

"Bullshit. Let's go outside, Jack."

"If we go outside, I'm gonna drown you in that pool."

"Drown who?! Yo, Reagan!"

A few moments later, Rae came in, looking at Carlos.

"Who you got, me or your pops?"

"Regarding...?"

"Them hands! What you mean, regarding?" He mocked her.

"Oh. I got dad all day."

"Hell yeah! That's what I'm talking about!" Jackson cheered.

"I can't believe this." Carlos complained.

"I mean, she is daddy's little girl. You should've seen it coming." I commented.

Carlos waved me off.

"Whatever. Anyway, I'm glad you're alright, kid. You gave us a scare." He ruffled her hair.

"Can you not? I just did it." She said, moving away from him and sitting on the bed.

"Girl, you got a messy bun in your head, and it looks bad."

"That's the point of a messy bun!" She yelled.

JJ rushed into the room, slightly putting me on alert.

"So.. grandma is here and she's angry."

"How angry?"
Jackson asked, getting up.

"You all were gonna lie to me!?" Catherine shouted, coming down the hall.

I shook my head, hoping I could just disappear under the blanket.

"Oh.. maybe I should go."
Carlos said.

"Nope. You wanna be a part of the family? You gotta deal with Mom." Jackson stated.

"I thought we were better than this. You don't lie to the people you love." She dramatically said, coming in.

"No one was lying."

"You didn't answer your phone, Jackson. That seems like the same thing to me."

"Ma, come on. We don't need the negativity right now.."

Catherine grumbled, rolling her eyes.

"All I ever ask is that I'm included in my grandbabies' lives, that's all I ask."

"Catherine.."
I lowly spoke, hoping she'd stop.

"Grandma, I'm okay. They're gonna catch the people that did this."
Rae assured.

"They better!"

"And as much as I like you all, please, exit my bedroom.." Jackson requested.

They looked at him, offended, urging to protest. Instead, they complained, leaving the husband and wife alone.