Six

"You didn't take your makeup off last night," Finnick rasps quietly, brushing hair back from Marissa's face as she finally wakes from her sleep. After the Tribute Parade, Marissa had been so tired she had gone straight up to sleep, falling asleep in her costume without eating any dinner. Finnick had changed her out of her costume and into one of his t-shirts but, he had fallen asleep before he got the chance to remove her makeup. Marissa grumbles something incoherent, still tired from the previous night and, she pushes her hand against his face in a feeble attempt to shut him up. "You look awful right now."

"Good," she huffs, rolling onto her side and cuddling into the duvet instead of him. Finnick is not bothered by her rejection. He climbs out of bed and switches on the bedroom light, laughing as she winces against the brightness. Marissa has never understood how Finnick wakes up so energized. Every morning her bronze haired boyfriend will wake her up before jumping out of bed and getting ready for the day. "I hate you."

"No, you don't. Now, get up and get ready because we need to have breakfast before we go down to training."

"Why do we need to go to training?" Marissa whines. "We already know how to win."

"It's not about learning how to win; it's about making allies."

"Can we not just ally with Johanna?"

"Even with Johanna, the Career pack will outnumber us. We need more allies."

"We could just hide in a cave for the whole thing," Marissa suggests, and Finnick rolls his eyes as he rips the duvet off of their bed.

"And, what brilliant backup plan do you have if the arena has no caves?" Finnick asks her, picking her up and dropping her onto the sofa, ignoring the glare she sends his way.

"Die?"

"No. Now, get dressed."

Marissa eventually gets up and showers, washing away the makeup from the night before and drying off before she pulls on her training outfit. The material hugs her figure, but it is breathable and offers plenty of room for movement.

"Nice of you to join us," Finnick says as Marissa enters the dining room, her red hair pulled up into a ponytail. He is sat at the table with Sterling, Galla, Honorius and the members of his own prep team. Marissa says nothing as she slips into the seat beside him, plating up a large bowl of fruit and greedily tucking into it. The lack of dinner last night is finally getting to her.

"What are you two planning on doing in training today?" Sterling asks them.

"Finn wants us to make some allies."

"That's a brilliant idea. I think that you should ally with Katniss and Peeta," Galla interjects, and the rest of the prep teams agree.

"I don't think they're an option anymore. I think Finnick might have scared Katniss off last night," Marissa tells them. Finnick shakes his head, disagreeing with Marissa's statement.

"I did not scare her off."

"Well, she definitely didn't like you."

"Then, I guess it's up to you to change her mind, Marissa," Sterling sighs, not surprised that Finnick has already managed to upset the girl on fire. Marissa thinks that convincing Katniss Everdeen may be easier said than done.

The training centre has undergone a huge revamp for this year's Games. The once rubber and plastic dummies are now holographic images that run, throw weapons and collapse when hit with a weapon. Marissa and Finnick share a sweet kiss before they split up. Marissa has decided that the quickest way to Katniss is to befriend her ally and supposed lover, Peeta Mellark.