3: Julia

"Who are you when no one's watchin'? You close the door to your apartment, Are you afraid of the silence? Are you afraid of what you'll find in it? Three in the morning, stayed up, Feels like the world won't wait up, All in your mind, it's made up...

"Who are you when no one's watchin'? You close the door to your apartment, Are you afraid of the silence? Are you afraid of what you'll find in it? Three in the morning, stayed up, Feels like the world won't wait up, All in your mind, it's made up"- ChloexHalle

"So sweetheart, how are you liking your salad?" Dad asked.

"I'd like it better if I could actually eat it."

I was sitting outside with my father at one of my favorite restaurants in DC. Since today would be my first day living on campus and not at our house, he wanted to take me out to lunch. Dad told me to dress nice, which I didn't really understand since after this I was supposed to be unpacking. Nonetheless, I picked out my favorite white jumpsuit and brushed my black curls into three buns, Janelle Monae style, and met him at the restaurant.

"And why can't you do that?"

"Because cutting and fixing salads are hard and I always make a mess," I pouted. "Can you do it?"

"Juli-bear you're a college student. Who's gonna fix your salads when I'm not here?"

"Mommy,"

"And what if she's in a meeting or away?"

"Then I guess I won't eat a salad until she gets back,"

"So you're willing to give up one of your favorite foods because you don't want to make a mess?" He deadpanned.

"Yea pretty much," I replied. I'm Julia Day, what do I look like making a mess with a salad?

"I doubt you would make it one week," He teased.

"Try me," I shot back. "I'd do almost anything to save myself from public humiliation,"

"Almost everything...except not eat salads,"

"You're unbearable," I groaned. "Now can you pretty pretty please, with whipped cream and two cherries on top, cut my salad for me?" I pouted. I batted my lashes a few times to add extra effect.

"This is the last time I'm cutting your salads until you come home for break," He announced. "I hope that by at least your sophomore year you can confidently cut and fix your own salads,"

"Yea I should be able to do it by then, but it's so much easier on me if I have you do it." I pointed out.

"Your mother and I have just spoiled you too much," Dad sighed. "Look at me, got me cuttin' salads because you don't feel like it,"

"Hey, think of it as a final gift to your favorite daughter before she leaves for college!"

We continued to converse as we ate, reminiscing over old memories while making new memories. Eventually dinner came to an end, as his lunch break was almost over and I had to drive to school.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye Juli-Bear," dad sighed. "I'm really sorry that I couldn't get off of work to help you move in,"

"It's alright dad, I understand," I replied. "Well, I'll call you tonight once we get all settled in! I love you,"