seventeen || "Front Or Back?"

Start from the beginning

I didn't think Devon's family knew how stressed he'd been ever since Rachel had come into the picture. He'd always worried extra about his mother and sister, but these days he could barely get a moment's rest.

"You better go return that car before they say you stole it." She laughed and took another drag. "Seriously?" Devon picked up his keys and began playing with them anxiously. "It was nice seeing you again Ms. Harris." I was trying to give him an opening to leave. "Summer, we're practically family call me mom." She smiled and took one last hit before resting it on a paper towel. "Leave her alone. I'll pick up Olivia when soccer is over." He placed a hand on his mother's shoulder before walking out of the door.

"You two look good together. I'm happy for both of you." She gave me a hug before going back up the stairs into her room.

"You good?" Devon asked as I gof into the car. I was smiling from ear to ear, and I bit my lip trying to hold it back. "Yeah, I'm fine." He furrowed his brows at me before he looked away.

"Here are my keys, just follow behind me." I was responsible for driving his car to Rachel's house so we had a way back. "Got it." I puckered my lips, expecting a kiss and once he granted me one I got out his car, shutting the door behind me.

It took about forty minutes to get to Rachel's house due to traffic. We both exited our cars and walked up the stairs to the front door.

"Summer, what a pleasant surprise." Tyler smiled and invited both of us inside. "Where's my dad?"

"I'm right here." Tony walked down the stairs, a smile stretched across his face. "What are you so happy about? It's three in the afternoon and instead of being at work you're here. Hung over." Tyler scoffed and walked off. I looked over to Devon trying to figure out what the hell just happened. Instead of a explanation, he just shrugged his shoulders.

"I think he hates me more than you do." Tony laughed awkwardly and turned his attention towards me. "Summer." He opened his arms out for a hug and I accepted. "Hi Mr. Washington." Rachel soon joined us and locked her arms around Tony's. "Summer, Devon, it's good to see you again."

It was weird, us all standing together like this. Everyone was being so nice yet the tension in the room was insufferable. Recently it had seemed like Devon's father was genuinely trying to make amends with his son. I wasn't sure if it was out of guilt or desperation. But ever since the baby shower, Devon had given up arguing with his father. He was tired of the disappointment, tired of the surprises.

"Hi Rachel. It's nice seeing you but me and Summer really need to get going." He looked at his father. "Stop coming by the house, and stop drinking. It isn't fair to mom or Rachel, especially Olivia." I was shocked to see Devon defending Rachel. It had seemed like he wanted nothing to do with her.

"It's fine Devon. Are you sure you two don't want to stay a little longer? We were just going to have lunch." Rachel rested a hand on her stomach, an innocent smile on her face.

"Just let him go, he can't stand to be around me." Tony rolled his eyes and pulled a cigar out of his pocket.

"I can see why."

Tyler reappeared, joining the conversation. "I hope you're not planning on smoking that next to your pregnant girlfriend?" He crossed his arms and stared Tony down. Tony cursed under his breath and walked towards the patio doors, slamming them shut.

"He's like an insolent child." Tyler brushed off his shirt and relaxed his arms. "Leave it alone Tyler." Rachel snapped back at him. I had never heard her talk with any kind of base in her voice, I was a bit surprised to hear it.

Tyler ignored his sister and turned his attention to Devon and I, Rachel walking off in annoyance. "She's just nervous about our parents coming home. They've been dying to see Tony again." Devon laughed and I couldn't have been more confused.