Chapter 13 - Butterflies

Start from the beginning

The grocery store was relatively quiet compared to their usual visits in the afternoon. Most of the other customers were middle aged or elderly. They grabbed a cart and made their way down the list. Victoria was accustomed to the layout and had already organized the list by order of the aisles they would walk through. 

They were halfway down their list when they got to the feminine products aisle. "I can't believe we still have to pay for these things. I mean, how isn't this covered under provincial healthcare. it's a necessity?" Victoria was doing her usual rant about the questionable ways healthcare products were covered in their province. Steph nodded a long as she's heard this talk plenty of times. Looking at the shelf across the pads she noticed something and tugged on Victoria's sleeve. 

"Hey Vic, do you have enough to last you at home?" she whispered pointing at the shelf full of incontinence products. 

Victoria's eyes went wide. She looked up and down the aisle making sure it was clear. "Honestly, I don't know. I only have the small pack. that's... 11, and I've used 2. Exams are spread out over the next month. What do you think?" 

"I wouldn't know... you're the one using them, but look! The big box is half off!" Steph raised her voice excitedly.

Victoria shushed her, and whispered "But I can't carry that back... it'll be too obvious." 

"Sorry. You're right."  she pulls out her phone, " it's the same price on amazon. You're not in a rush, let's do it that way?" 

Victoria nodded in agreement. She felt a fluttering in her stomach, but this time it wasn't butterflies. "Can we do the online shopping later though? I'm starting to feel that morning coffee."

"I'm sure there's a washroom here somewhere?" Steph said looking around.

"But I don't want to do THAT in a public washroom if I don't have to. It's not bad yet, but I'm starting to feel it."

"Okay, fine. Let's just keep going." 

The rest of the trip was quick and uneventful. Victoria's pace was a little quicker than usual. During checkout Steph could see that Victoria had to stand in pace and clench a little. 

"Hey, you sure you don't want to go here?" 

"Yeah, it's fine I can hold it... Steph, I need to hold it. Just let me do this okay?"

Sensing her roommates determination to do this, she picked up the bags and increased her pace for the walk home.

The streets were starting to get busier, and you can see the first wave of students who were hungover or doing the walk of shame. Their sluggish pace and lack of vitality were reminiscent of zombies. Steph followed Victoria's pace, dodging and weaving the zombies stumbling and unaware of the people around them. All the while she felt the increased movement has started to move the contents of her stomach, building pressure in her own backside. 

They made it safely to their building and went through the double doors only for Victoria to let out a groan. 

"Stupid. elevators. always. broken!" She said in exasperation.

There was a significant number of student crowding the elevator. It would at least take several trips. 

"Forget it, I'm going with the stairs." Victoria says in frustration. 

Steph grabbed Victoria's arm and said, "Vicky Wait! Think about it. it's we only have to wait one  trip at most. It'll be faster for us to wait than it would be for us to run up 9 flights of stairs."

Realizing Steph was right, Victoria leaned in to Steph and whispered "but, what if I don't make it?" Her face was in a lot of distress. 

"But you will Victoria, I know you will. Don't think like that okay? come on, let's line up before more people line up. 

Soon after lining up the elevator opened and a group of students filled the elevator to the brim. "four. twelve. seven please. eight. thanks" Steph was listening attentively for a better gauge of time. She whispered to Victoria that there are only 4 floors so it shouldn't take too long. 

While encouraging her friend Steph was feeling her first wave of cramps for herself. "seven" she thinks to herself as she watches the numbers "two more".

The number above the elevator doors read 12 and Steph sighs a breath of relief. But suddenly the number kept going up to 14. "Shoot come on...". She then felt a second wave of cramps, much stronger than the first. She looked next to her and Victoria was frozen in place with her eyes closed doing her best not to make her need.

 The elevator began making its descent, much to Steph's relief. She counted along with the numbers expectantly until it reached the ground floor. 

A number of students shuffled in, nearing capacity, when the group for girls in front of them stopped. "There's still space? why aren't they going?" Steph was growing impatient. 

"Excuse me!" Victoria pushed through the group of girls idling in front of the door and Steph followed suit. 

"Wow, rude?!" 

"What's the rush?! Come on!" 

"Bitch." 

The girls were muttering amongst themselves. Steph turned around to say sorry and realized that they were all together based on the matching sorority sweaters. Trying not to dwell on that interaction she looked at the panel and counted the lit up numbers. "Two, seriously? four, five, six, eight..." noticing that almost every floor. "Nine please" She told the person by the door. 

She felt Victoria fidgeting next to her, and despite the crowd of people in the elevator, Victoria was hunched over slightly, one arm over her stomach while holding the grocery bag, the other behind her back pressing against her bum. Looking at her friend only made her own need grow worse as she fought off another wave. 

The elevator reached the eight floor and a couple people made their exit leaving only the two girls and two other strangers. Victoria's hold was getting tighter and tighter.

"We're almost there okay. Let me take the bags, you take the key from my pocket so you can just run in." 

Victoria let go of her bum and gingerly reached into Steph's with her now free hand. With her one hand in Steph's sweater pocket she let out a rumbling fart, which made her quickly pull her hand and keys back to hold herself. Her eyes shut and breathing heavy, too preoccupied with the pain to be embarrassed by it. 

The elevators opened and Victoria hobbled as fast as she could while holding herself. Steph would have found the image hilarious had it not been for her friend's discomfort. At the distance she could see Victoria successfully open the door and run in. 

"I hope she doesn't take too long..." Steph thought to herself as she slowly felt her own needs grow.