Instant Messaging Archives | Doc 5

|photo by Soulful Pizza from Pexels|

Messages

Samantha Zhao

———Wednesday, February 18, 2:35 PM———

Allyson: Did you ask Josh?

Samantha: He doesn't know anything. I didn't get a chance to talk to him until we walked to the bus, and he hadn't even heard about it.

Allyson: But you told him, right? So he must have some idea about WHY it happened!

Samantha: Guys don't talk about every little thing like we do. And besides, Dodge has barely talked to anyone since the funeral.

Allyson: Well he sure as hell talked to me today. :( He gives Josh the finger at least once a day, but I've never heard him say those words out loud. So what the hell did I do to deserve having him YELL THEM AT ME???

Samantha: I don't know. Tell me again exactly what you said to him right before he blew up at you?

Allyson: I asked if he wanted a ride home and he said yes. Then I asked if he wanted to come over to my house. I told him my mom was out with a new client and Lindsay is staying after school to paint backdrops for her school play. I said it just like that and he got all tense. Then he stood up, and you and everyone in the entire freaking lunchroom heard the rest.

Samantha: I'm sorry, Owl. *hugs you*

Allyson: Thanks. This is a hundred times worse than last summer. At least then, I deserved it.

Samantha: *drops head on keyboard* I can't have this conversation again. Can we please focus on today's tragedy? Think about what you and Dodge talked about yesterday, last week. Maybe something you said has been eating away at him all this time and today he just couldn't hold it in anymore.

Allyson: We've barely talked since he got back from Georgia. The only thing I've said to him all week (besides hello and goodbye) is that my dad isn't coming home this weekend. That's why I asked Dodge to come to my house. I wanted to talk to him about my parents.

Samantha: *hugs you tighter*

Allyson: *hugs you back* Would you please talk to Josh again? Maybe he knows more than he thinks he does.

Samantha: Of course. I'll do it now. But while you're waiting, I want you to go back and read what you told me about Dodge at his grandmother's funeral — the part about him not letting go of your hand for one second. He loves you, Owl. Whatever this is, you guys can get through it.

Allyson: I really wish I believed that.