A Terrifying Uber Experience

Driving for Uber was never really something I ever planned to pursue in my life. I never really saw myself as a person who liked interacting with many people let alone drive them to where they want. Uber was a last ditch effort for me to make money as my current job was barely enough to make ends meet.

It was a rather foggy night this particular evening. I was waiting for the person who ordered an almost 2 hour long ride to show up, scrolling through my phone to keep myself occupied. I lifted my head up and huffed impatiently as I looked up at the street ahead of me to see if I could spot the client.

I was parked in front of an apartment complex, supposedly where the guy I was picking up was at. The complex seemed to have 7 floors in total. At least that's how many I figured it had judging on how I saw 5 horizontal windows visible from the outside go up in a row of 7.

Looking around more, I noticed a car parked off to the side, but it seemed to be parked in a rather weird way, as if someone was scrambling to stop the car and it veered off its tires. I raised an eyebrow at it, but shrugged it off, it was probably some guy that came back from a night of booze and fun.

My thought process was interrupted when I heard what sounded like shouting from the 1st floor of the complex. I looked up and noticed 2 shapes which looked to be a man and a woman's. The man approached the woman and that's when I saw her shape fall down and the light switch off.

I sat there, surprised. What was that? Perhaps an angry couple arguing? Maybe, after all, a lot of couples have arguments, but that seemed to turn violent. I didn't have much time to think about it as not long after, I spotted a man exit from the front doors of the complex. He began speedwalking towards me which made me sit up straight in my car seat. I took a look at my phone again to read the time. 7:23pm. This last ride would end my shift for the day, so I hoped they wouldn't take long to come down the stairs of the entire complex.

"Come on, one last drive and you can go home."

I commented to myself, trying to motivate myself to get through this ride so I could go home and relax, after all, my back ached from all the driving I did that day.

I noticed that he was walking towards my side of the car, so I rolled my window down and cleared my throat.

"Edward Fritz?" I asked.

"Hey yeah, are you my Uber?"

Edward asked me, speaking to me in a very rushed and panicked tone.

"If you're Edward Fritz then yes I am."

"Good good, I need you to drive me to the address I sent you as soon as possible, can you manage?"

His attitude caught me by surprise. The anxiety and worry in his voice was something I felt greatly. Has this guy never called for an uber before?

"Uh...yeah but the quickest I can take you there is 45 minutes if I go through all the shortcuts I know of." I replied, keeping a close eye on his facial expressions.

Edward practically pulled my car door wide open and hurriedly sat down, closing the car door and breathing very deeply.

"Dude, are you doing alright?"

"Please just drive me to my destination."

Edward gripped his pants tightly, his wide eyes staring at the apartment complex he just came out of.

I was completely shocked and confused, trying to piece together why he seemed so agitated. Looking at him further, I picked up on subtle signs that something was incredibly wrong. I could tell he was shaking badly from his demeanour. Apart from that, his skin was pale and even with the low light of the street lamps, I could see how much he was sweating.