xxiii. screaming contest

Start from the beginning

"Is everything alright? W-what are you doing here?" I asked, rubbing my hands. The house was still cold, even though I had on long sleeves.

"We are having an Order meeting in a few moments, I just wanted to ask for your participation first," Dumbledore peered over his half-moon glasses.

"Anything, uh, yeah."

"As I said in my office, over a month ago, your knowledge is crucial to the development and safety of our world. With your insight, it will allow us to avoid unnecessary expenses and problems that will have occurred in the future," he paused as if he were waiting for a reaction from me. Seeing no change in my face, he continued, "The organization needs all the help we can get. Answer all of our questions truthfully, without fear of offending. I ask that you do not give any specifics, not enough information to change our views on the future, but enough to help."

"Even if—"

"Charlotte, only what I ask. A little too much information could change the future either way– for good or bad. So please, do as I command. Do I have your word on the matter?" Dumbledore directed.

"Of course, sir," I nodded.

With a smile, Dumbledore stood up and led me out of the office and towards the dining room. As the door opened, I gaped at all of the people in there. Professor Snape, Professor McGonagall, Mad-Eye Moody, Bill and Charlie Weasley, along with their parents, and even Hagrid and Madam Maxime– the Beauxbaton Headmaster. There were other people standing around as well, but I didn't recognize them.

Slowly, I made my way to the empty chair in between Mrs Weasley and Professor McGonagall. Looking down, I let my hair cover my face from everyone's eyes as the meeting began.

Dumbledore spoke to other people about the different positions in the Ministry and how they're handling it but seemed disappointed in their responses. He also suggested that Elphias Doge and Mundungus Fletcher watch over Harry for the next few weeks; I opened my mouth to object against the idea because of Mundungus's short attention span, but quickly closed it due to Dumbledore's instruction.

After a few more questions to the people in the room, Dumbeldore addressed Hagrid on his assignment to the Giant Colony with Madam Maxime. For most of their conversation, I tuned out, playing with the charms on my bracelet and thinking of the past and future. I was only brought out of my thoughts when Mrs Weasley elbowed me softly, suggesting I'd been addressed.

"I- I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" I looked around the room at everyone who was looking at me.

"Yes," Dumbledore spoke, "I had asked if there was anything we needed to know about Hagrid and Madam Maxime's journey to the Giant Colony in Minsk."

Looking around the room once more, I racked my brain for memory and bit my lip nervously, "uh, there will be a slight problem in convincing them. It won't really work."

Everyone seemed to narrow their eyes at me, not liking my answer. Wishing the world could open up and swallow me, I sunk in my chair, trying to get rid of the eyes on me.

"How so?"

"The current leader of the colony w-will accept the offer to help, but the next leader won't. After the current leader accepts the offer, Death Eaters will show up, a few days later, and k-kill the leader. The next leader will side with Voldemort's offer instead of t-taking the original one," I explained.

"And how do you know this?" a voice boomed from across the room.

My head whipped in the direction of their voice to see a face I didn't recognize. His eye's narrowed at me, looking in disgust.