Chapter 5- The Envy of Them All

Start from the beginning

Alex wasn't looking at Cecilia like everyone else though, his eyes were on Eliza.

"Welcome all," Queen Eleanor spoke from the stage, as regal as ever, "The Lyle Hill costume ball is one of the most beloved events of the year and as always, we hope that you will enjoy it. Please, let us dance."

Eliza looked around to see who would reach her first. As soon as she saw Alex make a beeline for her, she felt an internal panic.

Please don't.

Unfortunately for her, Alex beat any other men. Standing right in front of her, not a care in the world, he extended a hand.

"Would you honour me with a dance, my lady?"

Eliza paused. To say no would be considered the height of rudeness. To say yes would stir up trouble.

Just one dance wouldn't hurt.

She nodded politely, taking his hand and letting him lead her to the floor.

"I thought we weren't doing this again."

"You owed me a dance."

"Not the first dance though. You should have chosen one of the women you're expected to marry."

"I'm the prince and I dance with whom I want. You're the one I want to dance with, not any of them. I couldn't take my eyes off of the costume."

"The Countess looks the best."

"You need not to praise her, she would not do the same for you."

"I wish to be the better person and besides, she does outshine the rest of us."

"I respectfully disagree. Oh, I must apologise for cutting our ride short. Perhaps I can make it up to you?"

"I do not think it is appropriate, Your Highness. You should be riding with the Countess, Alice or Lady Lavinia. They are your future wives, you need to make time for them."

"Do you not wish to spend time with me?"

"When you're not scaring me, yes."

Alex chuckled.

"I like spending time with you, Lady Eliza, and I want to continue doing it. You may deem it wrong, but I do not. If they think you're stealing me from them, than that is their problem. I may not have much choice with whom I am to wed, but I want a choice in who I am to be around. The other women are nice, I do not dispute that, but it is something I tolerate. Riding with you made me feel pleasure. You said that you wanted to make friends. Are we not friends?"

That made Eliza pause for thought.

"Well, I guess we could be."

"I knew you liked me really."

"I never said I didn't."

"You'd call me Alex if you really liked me."

Eliza sighed, "You'd let me call you Your Highness if you really liked me."

"Touché, ladder climbing Eliza. Actually, speaking of that wonderful meeting, perhaps we could take a walk of the town tomorrow. I'd like to see what else the lady does apart from rescuing children's toys."

Why couldn't she resist his charms?

"That would be nice. Just don't think that I will be spending all of my time with you, I have my friends and my family. Oh speaking of that, my mother is planning on getting my brother an eligible wife tonight. He isn't going to know what's hit him."

"I'm sure if he is half as good a person as you, his bride shall be a lucky one."

"You're generous in your comments, Your Highness."

"I am nothing if not an honest man," Alex kissed her hand as the song ended, "We shall meet again tonight, my lady."

Eliza had to laugh as she went back to her parents.

"Well if isn't the prince's bride," Eddie teased.

"We are just friends."

"He seems to like you dear," Lady Marianne had a knowing look on her face, "He almost tripped over himself to be the first to reach you for a dance."

"I thought tonight was about finding Eddie a wife."

"Oh, yes," Lady Marianne grinned, "Let us have a look. Ah, Sir Archibald and his wife have come back from the north, his daughters are with him too. Come Eddie darling, let us talk."

Eddie shot Eliza an annoyed glance as his mother dragged him across the floor.

"Excuse me?"

Eliza turned to see one of the numerous young suitors.

"My name is Captain Stewart Ubo. Would you like to dance, Miss?"

"Lady Elizabeth Greystone- it would be a pleasure sir," Eliza curtsied.

As she danced with the Captain, she felt herself drawn to Alex. He was looking at her across the ballroom too, his lips drawn to the rim of his glass and his eyes firmly on her. Whilst her conversation was with her dance partner, her thoughts were somewhere else.

Friends, right?

Hi all, hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Next Time: Alex and Eliza enjoy a walk in the village, but sexual tension emerges with a lesson in archery.

Thanks again, don't forget to vote and comment!