CHAPTER 32: LEAVING THE HEXEN

Start from the beginning

Judging by how they nodded their heads in unison and gazed at her expectantly, they believed her, which was a relief.

Taking a deep breath, Katja said, "I learned my mother's ring was made in the Schwarzwald...by the Waldkonig."

Tante Gerta gasped. "It can't be!" she said in a garbled voice, raising a hand in front of her mouth. "It's not possible!" She cast a stricken glance at Sprechen Maedra, as if waiting for her to agree, but the Sprechen simply gazed at Katja and nodded for her to continue.

"I want to go into the forest," Katja said, "to the Waldkonig, and find out why he made this ring. I want to know how my mother came to own it. I need answers, and the forest is the only place I have a chance of finding them."

"Do you hear what you're saying?" implored Tante Gerta, her eyes wide. "You sound just like your mother did before she left. You can't simply walk into the Black Forest and demand to speak with the Waldkonig! You'll be killed! We're not allowed in his territory. We don't even know if he's still alive."

"I think he's still alive," replied Katja, "and I don't believe he'll harm me. In fact, I think he sensed the presence of the ring here, and that's why the vine attempted to cross the bridge—he's searching for this ring."

"That's ridiculous!" snapped Tante Gerta. "You can't leave, and that's the end of it! Maedra, forbid her to go!"

Sprechen Maedra held up a hand, and Tante Gerta immediately fell silent.

"Part of me wants to tell you to forget about the past and let go of your need for answers," said Sprechen Maedra. "But the rest of me knows that isn't my place. You must make your own decisions."

Tante Gerta dug her fingertips into her hair, shaking her head and muttering to herself, but Sprechen Maedra asked, "How will you find the Waldkonig?"

"Most likely, he'll find me," admitted Katja, a shiver of fear coursing up her spine, "but Wolf has an excellent nose. I'd planned to let him sniff the ring and then lead me onwards."

Sprechen Maedra nodded. "It appears you've thought of everything, then."

"I'm not leaving forever," Katja said, feeling as if some explanation was in order, offering her aunts something they'd never received from her mother.

She raised a hand to touch the scar on her face. "There's just so much I don't know about my past and about myself, and even though it's dangerous, if I don't at least try to follow the only lead I have, I'll regret it every day for the rest of my life."

"I understand regret more than you know," said Sprechen Maedra. Giving Tante Gerta a pointed look, she added, "We both do, don't we?"

Tante Gerta scowled but eventually gave a begrudging nod.

"Go with our blessing, Katja," said Sprechen Maedra. "I'm sorry to say we'll have no way to help you if you need it, even if you send up a flare and we're somehow able to see it. I believe you have the best chance of going into the forest unharmed, seeing that you're attempting to return the ring to the one who who created it, but the rest of us must continue to honor the boundaries our foremothers established with the Waldkonig."

Katja nodded, even though she didn't actually plan on giving her mother's ring to anyone.

Regardless, she appreciated Sprechen Maedra's honesty; for once, it didn't feel like everyone was trying to protect her or saw her as some fragile, breakable creature. The look in the Sprechen's eyes as she stepped closer to Katja was one of respect, as well as sadness.

"Good luck, Katja," she said, extending her hand. "May you and Wolf return soon with the answers you seek."

"Thank you," said Katja, taking the proffered hand and giving it a firm shake. "I hope for that, as well."