Steadily we go down

Start from the beginning

It had gotten so bad in fact, that Maggie had to take him aside and give him some sleeping drought Marian had cooked up for him. Charlie also gave him an earful about how important sleep was to the human body and mind, then had hugged him and ordered him to bed.

Niki, thought it was rich coming from Charlie of all people, to lecture about sleep. However, she had decided to stay out of this particular issue for now.

"You’re not dead then." She said, taking a seat beside Kalen.

He looked at her, she had expected to see a smirk on his face or a glimmer of humour at least.

There was nothing.

"Nope."

". . . We were watched again. At the creak, I mean. Someone was there." She pushed.

"Yeah Marian told me, are you okay?" Thalia was the one to ask, ever caring, ever-loving.

"Fine, just a little shook up." Niki nodded, fidgeting slightly with her long dress sleeve. This is ridiculous. She thought. Nobody makes me nervous. Especially not Kalen of all people.

She turned to meet his eyes again, but he was elsewhere. Lost in thought. Thalia coughed, catching her eye instead. She shook her head, a warning.

Niki rolled her eyes. She wanted nothing more than to take Kalen by the shoulders and shake the truth from him. Ask him what the "bad thing" was that he had done. What had he been trying to tell her in his hazy feverish state?

Thalia rose from the fire and gestured for Nikita to follow her. Obediently, she did. They walked in silence out of the camp -not too far, but far enough from any prying eyes and eavesdropping.

"What is it?" Niki asked, though she knew completely what the subject of their little excursion was.

Thalia was still for a moment, thinking of the best way to say something difficult. Her hands twisted together, wringing her fingers in a nervous gesture. "So. . . I know Kal is acting funny. –Well not funny, that's kind of the problem. He's not really himself. And I know you care very much about his wellbeing but Kal could do with some space and. . . time." She gnawed on the inside of her cheek. Lia never liked confrontation– if that's what this was.

"I'm well aware he's not himself, Thalia. But that really isn't you're decision to make." Niki snapped, she rarely spoke to Lia so bluntly, but this wasn't something time could fix. Kalen needed help. Proper help.

Thalia blanched at her tone, her eyes widened, then blinked. "Look. I don't mean to be rude Niki, but I have known Kal since we were children, he's basically family. I read him like a bloody clock face. He's never been this bad before, but I've seen him upset and I've seen him hurt, and every time he bounced back after time." Lia looked slightly uncomfortable, like she didn't quite want to say the words, but found herself saying them nonetheless.

"It's been time, Lia! It's been weeks. What is it that you're not telling me? Why are you keeping us in the dark about this? Because I know you know what happened. He tells you everything and don't stand there and tell me you know him better because that's bollocks and you know it." Niki breathed, trying to calm herself. First Maggie, now Thalia, why was everyone clashing. Before, they'd all agree on almost everything together. Why was it all unravelling like thread?

Thalia met her eyes to eyes, finally. "I made a promise. It's not my place to tell you – any of you – what happened. You understand that though, right?" Lia's voice was harder now, less patient. "I'm sorry you're finding it difficult Niki, but you're not the only one of us with problems. –And I don't say that to be cruel. It's just, well. . . You take everything in stride. I mean, as far as I'm aware, you bounced back pretty quickly from the Viking camp."

"What the bloody hell is that meant to mean, Thalia!? What? I didn't completely crumple like Charlie, so I must be fine! Or you!? Hm? How have you been dealing, Lia? How has not talking to anyone worked for you!?"

Thalias face dropped. All worry left and twisted into defensive anger. A humourless smile played on her lips. It was not pretty. "Right. I get it. Because I should be used to it? –Being hurt by others, I mean. Treated like shit." She nodded to herself.

Niki began to regret what she had said almost as soon as she'd said it. "Lia, I didn’t mean–"

"No." She shook her head, taking a step backwards, further from Niki. "Talk to Charlie if you must. Ask her what's wrong. But believe it or not, she and Kal are quite similar in the fact that they don't like to talk about it."

Thalia turned to head back to camp. "Thalia I didn't mean it." Niki pleaded, urgently. Slowly taking a step closer to her. Thalia stopped walking, only for a moment.

". . . I know." She threw over her shoulder, her voice small like a scared child. Niki hated it. Hated that she had made Thalia, the kindest of them all, feel so shit. Low blow. The voice at the back of her mind whispered. You really went for the kneecaps. Idiot. Bad friend. Bitch.

Niki did not return to camp until an hour later.

***

A/N:
Sorry! I know, I know. Updates haven't been the best. I honestly don't have an excuse this time, I just really couldn't be bothered :)
But I finally updated! And I'm writing up the first chapters of 'There's Something Wrong With Nora Newcastle' (A lesbian romance set in the 1970s England)
And 'The Children of Balthory Manor'. (A mystery/ thriller set in WW2).
Please do check them out on my page if you have the time.
- Em. x