The Great Escape.

The universe answered his plea for help a month and a half later.

He was on guard duty again, having next to no real training with a sword, he thought he was really just there for appearances.

Kathleen had become quite weak in the last few weeks, due to supplies in the garrison running deathly low. Kalen had given her most of his rations whenever he could spare some. Food was starting to be available less and less, but by some miracle, the watering well wasn't contaminated by dead animals or disease which was a small mercy.

The Empress, Matilda, he found out exactly who she was within the first fortnight. She wasn't like Emma of Normandy, she was cold and cunning and too ambitious for her own good. But she seemed to believe in her claim to the English throne with her whole heart and soul, so who was Kalen to disagree?

He didn't all see that much of her, until recently when she had taken him from his position by a wall and asked him if he knew the area well. Kalen nodded, although, he didn't know it that well, but if she was asking the new boy about the city, then he must've been her only real hope.

As November slipped into December, and the ground became a blanket of snow, and the rivers beyond their little fortress became frozen over with thick ice, a plan was formed.

Matilda had begun to trust Kalen just enough to let him witness the plan being made. He stood in the corner of the room, Matilda and her right hand– the stone-faced guard from Kalen's first day, stood by an empty table, with a crinkled map poorly drawn out in front of them.

Kathleen had been lucky enough to assist Matildas lady's maids with the queen's dresses and food. So one morning, when Kalen and Kathleen were watching the fresh snowfall through the dirty, hoarfrost covered windows of the keep, the cold clinging to them both like flys in a spiders web, she had suggested to him that a white cloak could easily hide anyone who wanted to walk across the barren snow-covered land before them.

He had joked with her that perhaps they could do that, he didn't think much of it until now.

"What if you were hidden in plain sight?" Kalen suggested a shiver worked its way up his spine from the coldness of the room.

"What do you mean, boy?" Matilda asked, her face gaunt and her eyes a shadow.

"Suppose you were to wear white clothing of a sort? Perhaps that could keep you hidden in the snow from any watchful eyes."

She considered it for a moment. "How do you know I have anything white?" She asked curiously.

"My girl, Kathleen, she helps your lady's maids from time to time. She suggested it to me."

The Queen nodded, "she is a clever girl, Kathleen." As she said it, her head dipped ever so slightly in what Kalen could only assume was guilt.

"Then we act tonight," The guard boomed. "We cannot afford another week."

Matilda nodded and rose to her feet. "Everyone rest, when you awake, it will all be over." She stated, heading for the door.

As soon as the meeting was over, Kalen headed straight for Kathleen's sleeping quarters, in the servants' area. She was sat on the edge of her bed, her hair draped in front of her as she ran her fingers through the dirty blonde locks.

"She's leaving tonight." Kalen whispered as he sat beside her, his arm wrapped around her back.

She moved her hair out of her eyes and looked at him. Her face was pallid in complexion and her eyes lacked the shine they had that first day he met her.

Kalen had resisted the urge to find any kind of mirror or reflective object in the last few weeks through fear of what he would see in his own face.