Thirty-One | Seven Figures.

A/N - I highly recommend that you press play on the song above and let it run throughout this chapter! ;)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

The restaurant was intimate and elegant; a dimly lit space filled with two-seater and four-seater tables, a piano bar, and an entire wall that was a fish tank, with Angelfish curiously swimming back and forth.

The two of you had sat in a booth in the very far corner of the restaurant. The upside to this was that it meant you had a decent amount of privacy and a great view of all the other tables up ahead—the downside however, was that it was located right next to the bathroom. From the way that Chuuya had eagerly gulped down his wine as soon as it arrived, you could tell that he seemed like he was a little on edge about something. You felt his leg bouncing under the table as you indulged in the starters that you had exultantly ordered, and you wondered if this was just one of Chuuya's many nervous habits.

But why would he be nervous?

You knew that it couldn't possibly be due to this mission. For someone like Chuuya who had been in the mafia since he was only the young age of fifteen and had probably seen more dead bodies than one could possibly count on their fingers, this task was as easy as taking candy from a baby—in fact, he'd probably done a whole lot worse. One time, he even defeated an entire dragon made up of the most powerful abilities known to existence all by himself and basically saved the whole of humanity. A mission like this where all he had to do was kidnap a man and bring him back to the Port Mafia headquarters alive was nothing in comparison.

The truth was—Chuuya didn't know how to handle being in such close proximity to you. The two of you were sitting extremely close to one another. Too close; with barely a gap between you. He could smell the sweet scent of vanilla emanating from your perfume swirling stagnantly in the open air around him, making him feel lightheaded. He also couldn't help but notice the way that other men seemed to be shamelessly ogling at you; completely disregarding the fact that you were with another man like the imbeciles they were. He was struck with an overwhelming sense of possessiveness and jealousy; the green-eyed monster on his shoulder whispering devilry into his ear.

But he couldn't blame them.

He couldn't blame them for stopping and staring, as shameless as they were.

Because tonight—you were a vision of utter beauty; having you on his arm was like walking around with a diamond of the first water. You had that sensuous look about you; oozing with an allure that would put even sirens to shame. You were this...[E/C]-eyed, wingless fallen angel. You were dipping Turkish bread into salsa and eating like you hadn't seen food for days, oblivious to everyone around you, oblivious to the looks that you were currently getting, lusty from the old, rich men, and hell, lusty from most of the women too.