15

-CHAPTER FIFTEEN-

“It wasn’t any normal assassin, Mr. Morgenstern,” Casey Beckett said with a grim expression on his face.

“What do you mean,” Blake pressed. They had been on the island of Trinidad and Tobago, attending the funeral of the leader of the Brazilian cartel, who according to Casey Beckett had been assassinated. No one exactly knew where Blake and Sebastian really were except Casey Beckett, the brother of the departed. 

When it came to the business, the brothers didn’t usually bother to filter or lie to their younger brothers about their expeditions, but when Casey Beckett reached out to Sebastian regarding the assassination of Luiz Beckett, they knew they had to lie for this one. 

It had been nearly four years now since the assassinations had begun, and no one was close to even figuring out why all of it was happening. But they all knew who the killer was. 

“The pattern matches the one with Senator of Louisiana, Mr. Morgenstern. It is them,” Beckett sighed. Blake cursed. It had been quite some time since these assassinations had occured, nearly two months of hiatus or so, and it had been the longest the world had gone without this killer’s wrath. 

All while Blake and Casey Beckett had been discussing, Sebastian stood near the window, looking out to the sea that separated the island from Guiria. His expression was stoic as always and his posture firm.

Even though the island wasn’t his territory, Sebastian still was the superior to the people who worked in his world. Even though the Beckett Cartel was their ally, Sebastian still was the superior to Casey Beckett, who had taken up leadership since his brother’s murder.

“Where exactly was Luiz murdered,” Blake asked. “In his house in San Fernando. It was around midnight and since Luiz liked his space, he had lots of acres. No other house or settlement for miles. No one could have heard his screams,” Beckett answered. Though his expression remained serious, Blake could see the sorrow in the man’s eyes. He didn’t blame him for feeling this way.

“Does he usually settle there,” Sebastian spoke for the first time since they’d been in the room. “No. The house in Fernando is a farmhouse. He only uses it when he feels like getting away from work,” Casey Beckett explained. 

A flash of disgust glinted in Sebastian’s eyes. Get away from work? He’d never heard or supported those four words. Whether he liked it or not, work was a major part of Sebastian’s life.

Everything he had right now and would eventually leave to his heir, was because of the work he did. He didn't even think of it as work. He thought of it as a duty, and getting away from duty felt like unethical to him.

“Where does he usually live,” Blake asked, understanding where his brother was going. “Rio Claro.” The brothers looked at each other. “How many new employees have you employed in the past three weeks,” Blake asked.

Casey Beckett did a mental count and answered that they had recruited four new men into their cartel, all known by the old members of the cartel in one way or another. 

When Casey Beckett told the brothers that they had done a deep sweep for their backgrounds which had come back clean, they all knew the last option that could’ve led to Luiz Beckett's assassination.

“You have a rat in your midst, Beckett. I don’t care how much you trust your men, one of them is crossing you and you need to find out who it is now,” Blake ordered the new cartel leader who sputtered at Blake’s outrage, “Of course, Mr. Morgenstern. I swear on my life this rat won’t damage our alliance with yours.” Blake looked at him and said, “It better not Casey. Or it’s going to be your funeral.” 

“Severe ties with the Beckett Cartel,” Sebastian softly said as they sat down in their private jet. “What? Why,” Blake asked. “There’s no way he’s going to catch the rat. He can’t even catch a mosquito. Casey Beckett is not fit to run the cartel,” Sebastian answered and Blake nodded. 

“Why do you think they’re killing so many men Seb,” Blake asked softly a few minutes later. “Do you know what all these men have in common, Blake?” Blake shook his head. “They were involved in sex trafficking,” Sebastian answered. “Luiz Beckett was involved in sex trafficking,” Blake exclaimed. 

“No. His brother was.” Blake’s eyes widened, “What the fuck.” Sebastian continued, “When the killer went to San Fernando, they weren’t there to kill Luiz. They were there for Casey. Do you why this confusion took place?” Blake rolled his eyes at his brother's dramatics, “I have a feeling you’re about to tell me.”

“Hmm. That’s because the house is belongs to Luiz, but is registered under Casey’s name. And Luiz didn’t go to the house to get away from work. He was kidnapped in his own house in Claro, brought to Fernando where he was left to be murdered by them.” 

“But… Who would plan that,” Blake asked in confusion. “The one person who wanted to have everything Luiz had but couldn’t get it,” Sebastian said with disgust lacing his tone. Realization dawned on Blake’s face, “Casey Beckett.” 

“There’s no rat in the cartel. Casey Beckett himself is the disease. Leaving his brother to mercy of a ruthless killer just so he could have the seat,” Sebastian nearly snarled, but his tone was still controlled. “That little fucker. I should’ve skinned him when I had the chance. You don’t feel the need to tell me this shit beforehand Seb,” Blake grumbled. 

Sebastian smirked, his expression sickening, “You’ll have your chance brother.” Just then, a faint swoosh in air threw the airborne jet astray of it’s path just by a few miles. While Sebastian remained seated and unbothered, Blake looked out the window to see the mansion where they’d been in minutes before being blown to pieces. 

“You always have all the fun Seb,” Blake whined. Sebastian looked at him, “Casey was dragged out by our men before the explosion. He’s all yours to play with. Keep him alive though, he has valuable information.” Blake looked at his brother, “What do you mean?” 

Sebastian answered with a cool tone, “Casey Beckett knows who The Phoenix is.” 

-
okay,

1. i do not know if people actually live on the island of trinidad, this all is just a part of my imagination so dont come at me with logistics, im too tired with life to listen to it.

2. in case of confusion, The Phoenix is the assassin who killed Luiz Beckett. the men use they/them pronouns because they dont know the assassins identity.

3. tony is NOT blake's love interest. blake just has an attraction toward him which dies down further in the book.

ok im done. :D

lmk of you're enjoying the story and shoot any theories you have about it :D

(also, i put in another easter egg in this chapter 👀😏)