Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

I couldn't help but think of Felix's words. Kaz would probably agree with them, except Kaz would put it in a less harsh way. Was I being too trusting of Kieran? Was Adora? Maybe it would have been better to be more cautious. If Kieran made it onto campus on her own, she could have made it off by herself. Or I could have just gone with them.

Outside, I caught sight of Kaz heading toward the path to the library. Claude strode across the courtyard after him, causing the few students lingering about to gape after him. I ducked my head, trying to seem inconspicuous, but knew it would never work. Claude was hard not to stare at. If Kieran was still around, the attention Claude drew wouldn't be good for her.

My stomach twisted in anxiety as I kept thinking of what ifs. I trusted Kieran— she hadn't done anything to not deserve it. But I still couldn't shake the sudden apprehension. What if something happened? What if they fought? What if they were caught? What would happen to Kieran then? To me? To the peace treaty?

I was stupid for letting them go. I hadn't even thought of any consequences. I just blindly trusted Kieran. Like I'd blindly trusted my dad all this time. If something happened to Adora, then—

Claude came to a stop in front of me, making me bump into his back. "That didn't take very long."

I peered around his shoulder to see Kaz with Adora. Perfectly fine and scratching the back of her head, grimacing at what I could only assume was scolding from Kaz. Relief rushed through me. San was with them too, hands clasped behind his head, eyebrows raised in amusement.

Claude and I joined them under the canopy of the trees and Adora quickly slid to my side, slipping her arm through mine. "How could you be so quick to mistrust Cleo's decisions? And mine?" she asked Kaz, pouting.

Kaz folded his arms over his chest, lowering his gaze. "It's not that."

"It's okay, Kaz. You have no reason to trust Kieran," I said. "I shouldn't expect you to. I don't expect you."

"And you know I can defend myself," Adora added. "I know how Kieran fights."

I looked at her. "What? How?"

"Don't you remember? From the times I went with my mother to your estate."

"You saw Kieran, too?"

Adora dipped her head in a nod. "Sure. It was clear she was treated better than you, but I still think both of you have been mistreated by your father."

I felt my skin prickle. "My father is definitely more lenient on her in some ways, but worse in others."

"At least you realized how wrong he is for the way he's treated you. Maybe she can too," Adora said hopefully, grabbing my hands.

Had I realized that? Part of me thought I did, but the other part still wanted to make excuses for him. However, I knew I wanted Kieran to form her own opinions, and take her own path. She didn't even have to follow mine. I just wanted her to be free, too.

"Still, she shouldn't come back to campus," Kaz said. "Humans and hunters alike are not supposed to be here."

That I could agree with. It was too dangerous to have her sneaking around here. I just didn't know how to stop her from coming here. She was very stubborn and headstrong.

"The border has more security now," Kaz continued. "There will be guards patrolling the boundary, too. She might get caught if she tries again."

"Did they ever find where those hunters crossed over?" Adora asked.

"Yes, there was a weak spot. There are guards there now. I don't think any more hunters will get through," Kaz answered, frowning. "At least, I hope. I don't know how Cleo's sister managed to get by. But if she could, that means others might be able to as well."