If I'm Not Safe In My Own Home Where Am I Safe? Chapter 5

I woke up the next morning sore. I could barely move. I rolled over on my side to check the time. 9:00 am. I groaned if I didn’t get up now it would only be worse for me. Pushing back the covers I stumbled out of bed. As I made my way to the top of the stairs I tripped over one of my brother’s toys. Falling down the stairs smashing into the wall at the bottom. The purple bruises already on my body were starting to get darker. Just what I needed. 

“Sissy!” Lucas ran and jumped on my lap. I smiled at him, trying hard not to let him know the pain I was in.

“What’s up big boy?” I picked him off my lap so I could get off the floor. Taking his hand in mine we walked to the kitchen. 

“Breakfast!” I nodded. 

“What shall I make?” 

“Pancakes!” I turned around so he wouldn’t see the look on my face. I hated pancakes. The only time I ever eaten pancakes was when my mother made them and those were terrible. 

“How about cereal? That way we could watch TV.” 

“TV!”  I poured two bowls of Lucky Charms. Putting more marshmallows than actually pieces of cereal. I grabbed the milk from the fridge and poured it only in one of the bowls. Grabbing the two bowls and Lucas I made my way down to the basement. 

After trying to find something we both could watch we settled on Dexter’s Laboratory. Laughing at the way Dexter said laboratory. I gave Lucas his bowl of cereal with milk. I never understood how people could eat soggy wet cereal. It just grosses me out. When the show was finished I took our bowls to the sink to wash them. 

I heard her footsteps. She entered the kitchen in search of something. When she started going towards the basement I froze. I hated the idea of Lucas being alone with her in the same room. I headed to the basement but I was to late. She already had him on her hip carrying him to his room. 

She got him dressed and carried him out the door. I never knew where she took him while I was at school. I could guess a daycare center, but the truth is I will never know unless she decided to tell me. Trying to figure out what to do. I decided to take a shower. 

The water stung at first against my bruised body, but after a little while it felt really nice. 

I spent an hour in the shower. Enjoying the hot water. When the water started to get cold I knew it was time to get out.

After getting dressed I went to do my makeup. That’s when I noticed the bruise on my left cheek. It must have been from when I fell down the stairs. I turned to my make up bin in search of my concealer. It wasn’t there. Not wanting to get stressed out searching for it I went on Facebook. 

I didn’t even remember Ryder until he started talking to me. 

Ryder: Hello

Me: Hi

Ryder: What’s up?

Me: Nothing really. Just looking for something. You? 

Ryder: Nothing. What are you looking for?

Me: Concealer.

Ryder: What’s that. 

Me: It hides my bruises. 

Ryder: Why do you have bruises? 

Then I realized I had said too much.  I couldn’t tell him the truth. I haven’t even told my friends the truth. Yet, something inside kept urging me to tell him. He would go around telling people. I didn’t need that. Still that voice inside my head told me I could trust him.

Me: Promise you won’t tell anyone?

Ryder: I promise. 

Me: My mom. 

I looked at those two words and anger fled through me. And then shock. 

Ryder: I understand.

Me: You do? How?

Ryder: Promise you won’t tell?

Me: I promise.

Ryder: When I was little my parents died in a car accident. I didn’t have an living relatives so I was sent to a foster home. My foster parents weren’t exactly um proper parents. Hitting me and locking me out. Some how someone found out and they sent me to a foster home here.

Me: Oh. You moved here from where? 

Ryder: England. 

Me: No way!

Ryder: Yes way!

Me: England is my favorite country. 

Ryder: Cool. I have to go out sorry.  Hopefully we’ll talk soon.

Me: Okay bye. 

He trusted me. I felt important for once, but the feeling left as quickly as it came. I wondered if he was happy. I sat there trying to figure out if he was. It was difficult since I barely knew the boy so I gave up and decided to lose myself in a book. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and stuff :p