Chapter Nineteen: First Birthday

August 9th, 2019

Chris had been in the most peaceful sleep until a weight placed on his chest started moving around and squirming.

"Happy birthday daddy," Grace said, climbing back into bed beside her husband. She had been up with Zach for a little while and started his first birthday talk already.

"Dada!" Zach cheered, slapping his small chubby hands off of Chris' chest making him chuckle as his eyes adjusted to the light in the room.

Zach had started talking to them a few days ago, 'dada' was his favourite word and while Grace was glad to see he was growing and developing well under their care, she hated that he hadn't called her first.

"Happy birthday little man," Chris smiled, kissing his forehead before pushing himself to sit up and look at his wife while Zach settled between them.

"Happy birthday," Grace smiled, leaning in and kissing her husband, being careful of Zach as he played with Chris' hand and his wedding ring.

Chris smiled against her lips, thinking of the time where that would've led to more; now they had a baby in their bed.

"I gotta go make a speech in the rose garden, I'll be back by one. What time does the party start?" Chris asked, reluctantly pulling away from his wife.

Grace smiled at him, lifting her hand to run her fingers through his hair and tug on his un-styled curls.

"Not until two. Your mom, brother and sisters get in around the time you're finishing up. My parents landed an hour ago, they'll be here at the same time," Grace explained, eager to have their family meet their little boy but a little nervous they might overwhelm him.

Andrew and Don had already met Zach while on business trips to Chris' office. They both adored the little boy but he still had a grandfather, two grandmothers, and three aunts to meet.

"Hey, he'll be fine, if it gets too much I'll pull him out," Chris said, noting his wife's silence and the look on her face.

Chris couldn't help how he felt about his wife lately. Seeing her take to her role as a mother and still heading up charity events and his own schedule had made him pull more towards her. It made her more attractive in his eyes.

"I know," she smiled, leaning over and kissing his nose, smiling at how he scrunched his face up at the feeling, "go, you'll be late Mr President, I'll have your birthday present after everyone leaves,"

Chris nodded, tickling Zach before moving out of bed and turning back to his wife.

"I didn't want anything, you know," Chris yawned, stretching his arms above his head as he watched her.

The smirk on his wife's face made his eyes pop while she lifted Zach back into her arms.

***

Chris was itching to get out of his seat while the Governor of Texas continued to talk to him across the desk.

He was already late to the party and still wanted to remove his tie and stiff suit jacket before joining his family.

"I will do what I can," Chris promised, looking to Kaitlan who nodded at him and moved in to talk to the Governor so Chris could skip out of the office as fast as possible.

As usual, his security detail was quick to catch up with him as he started to undo his tie and open his top button, stripping himself of his suit jacket as he went.

"Sir, the First Lady wants to meet you in the living room before you go out there," Harry said, watching him rush into the main living part of the White House.