Ocean Eyes

When we meet someone we haven't seen in a long time. We rush towards them because our minds are like children and don't remember everything at first. Like why we shouldn't go to the people who harmed us so brutally we wear their scars beneath our skin.  Each hurt a deep gash on our very souls.

Eight thousand feet in the air in Colorado, a tall slender man in a white tuxedo smiles at a crowd of gorgeous men and women dressed equally exquisite.  His wide, bearded mouth spoke with a soft voice with a unique accent none could place.  With skin like a cup of coffee with too much cream he looked radiant beneath the crystal chandeliers of the ball room of the Hotel Dante.  An exclusive hotel that caters to the wealthy and elite of the world.  People enjoyed his cadence in his stories about the different places he had been.  The countries he had walked across, the women and men imagined what lay beneath the fine suit and crisp button down.  Handsome with a head of golden hair that in itself was unusual because it was a seemingly natural afro that stood a few inches from his broad forehead. 

What got people peering closer were his tricolor eyes, a mix of opal blue, forest green with flecks of gold.  Finnegan was a small bit of magic in a world that had none.  This was to them as if having a tiger walk into another boring gala and making it anything but. To Finn whose magic was coming off him in waves as a Venus Fly Trap produces sweet scents to lure unsuspecting insects to die inside it, it was just another Saturday.  Finn closed his eyes, the voices and the movement of every person in the vast ballroom crashing against his magic like rain on an umbrella. He filtered what he actually experienced, but with a thought he amplified his own presence in the perception of the small group around him. 

He wanted one of them to want him so badly, but humans are hive animals.  Desperately they use the approval of others as a surety to their own actions.  It was an aspect of humanity he disliked greatly but would never say, it made them easily mailable to his purposes.  Even now, his stories about the humidity of the Congo forests had women nodding along.  All because one member of the group, a handsome man with a strong jaw had been led by Finn to believe they had done a safari together.  Finn had picked up on where tte man's blue eyes moved on his body and implied that he and the man had been friends and more.  The women had been jealous of the man and the men had been in awe of the stranger.  The stranger could of said at any time that it was bullshit but instead he had just inched closer like a moth to a flame.

Being a Fae in the land of Men had its advantages and Finn wasn't one to miss an opportunity. Together with three other Fae and four human scoundrels they are a band of thieves.  No name needed, as they didn't do contract work.  The eight of them scour the news for potential jobs and then as a democracy decide which is the fun idea, the easy idea, the suicidal idea and on a whim they carry them out.  The eight never stay in one place long, traveling the globe always in search of a bigger and better score.  Today was an Heiress from a United Kingdom country that Finn had already forgot, but her beautiful face he did not. 

Sienna, five foot four inches tall with the body of a gymnast stood in the crescent moon of people who enjoyed his stories.  Her hair the color of Moonlight with skin like snow from her lack of time in daylight due to a medical condition.  It made her skin fragile and he would have to take care with her.  She was a flower few could ever see and less could ever touch.  He watched her amber eyes light up with the stories he told about the Russian women who danced on tables not for men but for the thrill of each other.  Finn could see that she wanted to be that free.  He also wanted freedom, but knew that would never be his. 

A chill crept across his body as if a cold breath of frost blew in but he knew that was impossible.  The Hotel Dante, a testament to true opulence had spared no expensive creating the perfect gala complete with lines of small fires alight on crystals  to act as artistic pieces of decor.  Finn looked away from Sienna as he felt it again.  Violins and guitars and drums played as a female singer sang in the center of the room.  The guests were invited to dance around the band, the music reminded him of a marching line music with an ethereal feeling.  The feeling of frost was coming from the center, he was sure of it.  His bushy golden eyebrows creased in consternation, he walked among the dozens of people towards the band.  When had his heart started hammering in his chest behind his ribs? His mouth is going dry. His eyes began to burn with tears, but he didn't know why.  But the reactions happened all the same.