❂ 069. burning sun

Start from the beginning

Pausing in her steps, a shiver erupted from the Padawan as she gazed up; pale moonshine reflecting against violet. Always? How funny, to have a word that can never be: never occur. To promise always, to promise forever; in a world where even life is temporary. Yet, was also the only word Eisha could use to describe herself and Wolffe — that she couldn't find a lifetime where an always didn't happen between them.

That she couldn't bear a lifetime without an always between them.

Then, was that why she cut him off?

Teeth gritting, Eisha cracked her knuckles as she trudged through the snow; mind reeling, as she grumbled, "I know? No, you don't!" Shaking her head, curls rustled as she ignored the chatter of her comm; the neglected words carrying away in the wind.

Carrying away the words she wanted the Commander to speak.

Because what would happen, if it was what she wanted to hear? Would anything change? Was there anything to change? And, if it wasn't what she expected — what she wanted to hear — what would happen then?

Was knowing really better than not knowing?

Eisha didn't think so.

Like this, she could imagine what she wanted: change nothing, and stay in her safety. Always ready for one thing, but never the other option: to leave the fluttery, flirty feeling and move on to the next step. Because whilst most people didn't love love — Eisha did. She loved the way it was: that love was sacrificial, ferocious — giving back to the emotion, that love isn't something that occurs on a whim.

But, something you work towards: an everyday, ongoing choice as you look at the one you love beside you, and say—

'I'm staying.'

It was the love people never thought about; the love that would damn them in the end. Because people only want the emotion, without paying anything for it; working for it. But, Eisha would work every day of her life for it: if that's what it meant to stand alongside him.

'Anything, for him.'

But, such thoughts could cloud her mind: and, a clouded mind, clouded judgment, was not needed right now. Not, when she didn't know what she was facing.

What was to come.

So, she ploughed onward; hoping such intruding thoughts would remain at bay before she could greet golden eyes, again. Instead, she focused on the dark presence edging into her mind; drawing closer to the assassins as she tracked them.

Halting before the splitting canyon between the grand mountains, a short inhale sounded from Eisha as she clutched her weapon. Staring down the darkening entrance, violet eyes swirled closed as she listened to the Force presence lurking within. Stepping forward. Stepping into the dark.

Stepping into the unknown.

Breath escaping, her lightsaber ignited: deep violet echoing an amaranthine hidden within the Padawan's tense gaze. Flickers of fire damned the natural periwinkle, a shadow of red rising before Eisha rubbed at her eyes; lingering over her right as she upheld her saber, casting a purple hue.

And, pushing back the reddening of her irises.

Pressing her hand to the rocky terrain beside her, such eyes closed: Eisha intently listened to the sounds hidden within the canyon, vibrations of scuffling offering her insight. Then, peeking open, she followed the echo, rounding the corner; moonlight encasing her once more as she moved from the darkness.