Chapter 49 - Killdrain First Day

Start from the beginning

He finished his meal first and left. His work took him out an hour before my classes and let him off three hours after the Syren school let out.

I spent the next half hour saying no to Candy about anything that would result in a change of clothes. Finally, it was a suitable time for me to leave and I walked out, locking the door behind me.

It took me a few minutes to get to Killdrain. Walking onto campus, I was reminded of the weight of the atmosphere as the early autumn sun was blocked off. There weren't as many people as I expected, but it was the first period of the day and I was twenty minutes early.

I was supposed to find the Humanities section in the gothic castle. Looking around, I regretted not taking the Geranomy brothers up on their offer of a tour before summer.

Speak of the devil, a familiar scent had me turning.

"Ari? What're you doing here? You're not supposed to start till January." Greg asked, walking up to me.

"I wanted to surprise you guys, but I think I should've let you show me around that day instead."

He lifted a brow, "Can't find your class?"

I shook my head.

He laughed, "Come on, I'll show you. What's the hall number?"

Relieved, I followed him, "Humanities four - thirteen."

He checked his watch, "That's all the way across the building from my class, but we've got time. Let's go."

He led me into the building, taking me through a maze of twists and turns to an elevator.

"What're you doing here so early, anyway?" I asked as we stepped out onto the fourth floor.

"My Machinery teacher and I have something we've been working on since my first year. I like to come in early sometimes to help him tinker with it."

We took another turn.

"Lucky for me, I guess. What's the thing you're working on?"

He grinned, a twinkle in his eye, "It's a secret."

"Alright, Tinkerbell."

He thrust his nose into the air, "I'll have you know that Tinkerbell was a genius ahead of her times. I knew I shouldn't have let Hailey get a hold of you."

I laughed.

Hailey had taken it upon herself to 'give me a childhood' during every free moment over the summer. That included watching as many Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks movies as possible, along with other classics from smaller studios.

"Well, here you are." Greg announced as we came to a door labelled 'H 4-13'. "I should get going if I'm gonna be able to help Professor Range, even if it's just for a few minutes. Have a good day, and good luck on finding your way to your classes."

I waved him off, "With the look of this school, I'll definitely need it. Thanks for your help."

With Greg gone, I was left standing alone before the glossy doors of the auditorium. It had taken us little under fifteen minutes to get here, so there were a few more people on their way to their classes.

I exhaled, then placed a hand on the door handle, psyching myself up.

Today, was gonna have two new beginnings for me. I just hoped the day started off well.

I entered the auditorium, taking a quick glance around. The seats were structured in a concave form, the height of the seat rising as you climbed the steps to the back. At the front of the room was a large electronic board, some speakers and a desk. There were a few people already present. Some were discussing in groups while others were scattered in isolation.