22 || second session

Start from the beginning

        Amelia struggled to maintain her teasing grin as she spoke. "How so?"

        As much as James wanted to dwell on their intimate time together, he stuffed those thoughts deep down for the sake of the session. "Going outside helps. I feel more free when I'm outside."

        "It eases your anxiety to feel free?" Amelia assumed. 

        "When I feel free, I feel more like my own person."

         Outside - good idea! Amelia jotted down swiftly in her notebook before glancing back up at Bucky's intrigued eyes. 

        "This is great progress, James," she confirmed gently, swinging her left leg over her right knee and balancing the notebook in her lap. 

        "Steve thought so, too." 

        "Steve told you that?" Amelia wondered out loud. 

        James nodded with a most pleased look dawning on his features. "Our conversation yesterday made me feel ... normal again." 

        Bucky had forgotten what his friendship with Steve felt like up until yesterday. It was a nice refresher and reminder of what their bond consisted of. After all, Rogers was the only person that had fought for Buck up until Amelia. Everyone else was ready to end him, while Steve stuck his neck out for him - multiple times. 

        "It's healthy to maintain relationships," Amelia reminded him with a sly smile. "I'm sure you see that now." 

        His blue orbs narrowed at her playfully as he leaned back to rest against the couch cushion again. "I've done a lot of relationship maintaining." 

        "And has it helped?" 

         "What do you think?" James probed lightly.

        Amelia shook her head tentatively at the direction the conversation was heading, ignoring his question all together. Sex flashbacks were not something she needed to be reminded of while she was in the process of questioning him for his therapy session. 

        "You know I have to ask about your most recent nightmare," she pointed out, tiptoeing carefully around the subject, testing Bucky with her eyes. 

        James could feel his shoulders gradually slumping at the topic of his fresh bad dream being brought up. His psyche was grasping at thin strings trying to keep his content feeling from slipping away completely. 

        "I know you're feeling better, but not everyday will feel like this," Amelia spoke in a hushed tone. "Especially while you're still healing." 

        "What?" he muttered in disappointment. "You want details on how I murdered my family?"

        Amelia swallowed slowly. "That's up to you to share."

        "I don't want to share. I wish I had never remembered," James said lowly, his blue eyes stared down at his lap now instead of looking up at her. 

        The tug in Amelia's chest appeared once more, the longing feeling to wrap her arms around him comfortingly because of the look that had filled his once happy eyes. "How did the dream make you feel?" 

        "Like a monster. Like ... shit." 

        There weren't even words that existed for the way that James felt every time his mind flashed back to his horrid dream. The pain that lurched in his stomach and his chest at the thought of the fear that had flashed through his parents eyes ... his sibling's eyes. 

        "Do you remember new things every time you have a nightmare?" Amelia asked him hesitantly, uncrossing her legs as she watched him closely. 

        "Almost always, yes." 

        It seems as though his nightmares help remember all of the bad, but he never dreams about any of the good, she wrote down before shutting her notebook. 

        "Along with continuing your current treatment plan, I want to add some coping mechanisms to help with your nightmares," Amelia explained in an attempt to not push the subject further.

        James' eyes flashed up to hers expectantly.

        "When you wake from a nightmare, I want you to try and find your most peaceful place," she urged quietly, licking her lips before she spoke once more. "Wherever it is, and go to it." 

        James pondered whether or not Amelia had any inkling that she was the first thing that popped up in his mind at her words. When he thought of anything calm or peaceful, her face appeared in his head. Just looking at her gorgeous features was enough to ease his nerves. 

        "Try to remember that this is called re-experiencing," she tried to reassure him the best that she could. "It's very common in trauma cases. The worst part is over. It's in the past." 

        "The past can be scary." 

        Amelia nodded understandingly before giving him a friendly smile, leaning forwards and resting her arms in her lap. "Find your calm. Find your peace. Ride your nightmares out this way." 

        Little did Amelia know, she was the only peace he had known in very, very long time.