“What?” I stared back at Beatle blankly and he looked at the ground and nodded towards my back.

            “You know…” He trailed off and I pulled my bag out of my locker before slamming it and staring down the mainly empty hallways. No one wanted to stay in school longer than absolutely mandatory.

            “Not really. You lied to me,” I said simply as I slipped my arms through my jacket and then swung the bag over my shoulder.

            “I didn’t lie to you!”

            I spun around quickly to face him and pointed a finger with a glare. “You told me I knew what was in it! Since when are you selling coke?!” I made sure to whisper-yell the last part. I might be angry, but I wasn’t about to get us both suspended over it.

            “You knew there were drugs inside!” He yelled near my ear. I practically rolled my eyes at this.

            “We both know that’s not the drug I thought.” We stared at each other for a second, and I finally turned and left him standing there in the hallway. He would call me later, I was fairly certain.

            **

            I lifted my head from my Calculus and Vectors book as “Goodbye Song” filled the room. My phone was vibrating and the light illuminated the dark corner of the room. Someone was calling me. Was it wrong I was smiling? Probably. I mean, I wanted to be mad at Beatle, but at the same time the fact I knew him well enough that I had predicted this call made me smirk.

            It wasn’t until I glanced over the caller ID that my face dropped. Beatle hadn’t called me.

            Was I not important enough to call? Half of me felt that way. If I was important to him he wouldn’t have let me walk away in the first place.

            He’s giving you space. Yeah, because space fixes everything.

            “Hey, Whiskey,” I breathed out, and I heard a laugh on the other end that lasted a moment before he spoke.

            “Lake, you should come over. Trick is here. Bring Beatle.”

            “I’m not with Beatle.” I slammed my textbook shut and pushed myself up from my desk, searching the floor for actually pants.

            “Oh.”

            “Why didn’t you text me?” I asked as I tried to turn a pair of jeans right-side-out. I abandoned the task, deciding that leaving the house in sweats was suitable at nine.

            “Because you can ignore a text. Are you coming or not?” I could hear the annoyance in his voice, as well as Trick rambling on in the background.

            “Yeah, yeah. Be there in five-ish.”

            I tiptoed past Mom’s door. She always went to sleep notoriously early since she had to go into the school at the crack of dawn. There was a soft light that flickered from Hayden’s room, making it appear different shades of blue. I simply popped my head in instead of knocking since I assumed it was probably the light from the television.

            “Hey.” Hayden was sitting cross-legged on his bed, controller in hand and headset on. He turned towards me and squinted a bit.