fourteen || "I'm A Gentleman Summer."

Start from the beginning

"I mean she came up to me asking to treat me to lunch and Summer was standing right next to me! She didn't even acknowledge her." I didn't understand why people had to be so petty. It was childish and pointless.

"She's brutal. You better watch out for her, she could be like a Yandere or something." Tyler smiled, satisfied with his reference.

"You watch way too much anime, but maybe you're right. I'll have a conversation with her soon, end this once and for all." I pulled out my phone and searched for her number. I hadn't recognized it at first considering I never saved it. It took going into the message thread to find out it was her.

Devon: Hey Claire, it's Dev I was thinking we could talk soon, maybe tomorrow after class?

Unknown number: it's a date!

Devon: Just a talk lmao, but I'll see you then.

"I gotta go, but don't forget what I said about Maya!" I crumbled up a piece of paper and threw it at Tyler. "You just worry about your date tonight." He mumbled under his breath.

"At least I have a date tonight." I joked.

He turned around to say something but before he could answer, I slammed his door shut and jogged down the hallway. I patted my pockets checking for my phone and pulled it out finding another notification from Claire.

Unknown number: Whatever you say.

I rolled my eyes and continued down the hall.

...

"How do I look?" I had changed my outfit over ten times, not satisfied with anything in my closet. "That's the one!" Jess twirled her finger wanting me to do a spin and I happily obliged. "Oh I'm so excited for you! What time is Devon coming?" I picked up my phone to check the time, seeing it was around six forty-five. "He should be here soon." I sat down on the couch beside Jess and fixed the strap on my heels.

"So is this exhibit like super exclusive or something?" Jess had been wondering why it was so hard to snag tickets to it. "No, it just opened. It features a lot of new artists and their work and everyone who appreciates art has been buying up all the tickets." Her face lights up. "Ouu so they must have been expensive!" I laughed her off but I had to admit, I was curious on how much money he had to spend to afford these tickets.

"No over thinking tonight! I know you like to get in your own head but take a day off." She threw a compact mirror to me and I checked my face one more time before stashing it away in my purse.

"I'll get it!"

Devon had barely knocked on the door before she ran to open it. I appreciated Jess's enthusiasm, if it wasn't for her I would have been a nervous wreck right now. I know her bubbly demeanor could be a bit much for more reserved personalities, but she really complimented me well.

Jess opened the door and looked between me and Devon a few times before she spoke. "I'm kind of jealous. You guys are the most attractive couple I've ever seen." She grabbed the flowers from Dev and ran them to the kitchen, telling me she would put them in water. I stood up from the couch and walked over to him, scanning over his outfit.

"You look beautiful as always." Devon said, leaning in for a kiss. "Thank you, you look very handsome as well." I returned the sentiment and looked back to Jess who was stood in the kitchen admiring the flowers. "Don't wait up for me!" I shouted.

"You better have her back here at a decent time Washington or I swear." She glared at Devon trying to hold back a smile.

"I promise to be on my best behavior." He joked, winking at me before he leads us out the door.