Farewell

It had been 3 years, and here she was. Her life would never be the same. Staring at the pink roses and purple hyacinths, she thought back to that day. The day her rock, strength, and most treasured joy of her life left. It hit her like a bus when she realized that it was possible. That someone like her mother could leave so quickly.

When the funeral came around, she sang, hoping that her mother would wake up from her slumber, being the first to congratulate her on how well she did. That's what she wished for more than anything. But it didn't happen, and as thoughts overwhelmed her young mind, she choked. Brokedown. Cried on stage, in front of everyone. That day, it was forced in her face, she couldn't avoid it. That was the day a part of her died inside. A huge part of her.

"Why did you need to go?! Mom, please wake up!! Come home, please, this isn't funny!!"

Back then, she couldn't believe it. That wasn't possible, right? But here she was, 3 years later sitting at her mother's grave. She was 17 now and she needed to push forward. The only way she could do that, was if she finally came to terms with what happened.

Her mother was dead, and she wasn't coming back.

The wind blew lightly like was waiting to hear her play. To let her bitterness and sorrow go. To be at peace, knowing that her mother would always be with her. So she picked up the violin, her mother's favorite instrument.

Tuning it, she inhaled deeply. The weather was perfect today. Now was the perfect time to play for her mother, who was the light in her life and so much more. There were quite some people nearby, due to her mom being buried near the art and music center. Her favorite place. She felt the wind tickle the grass around her legs, softly urging her to start.

So she played. Played Adagio for her mother, out of happiness and sorrow. She played remembering all of the things they did together. All of the happy times, and even the sad and frustrating ones. She played her heart out and refused to stop, wanting her mother and everyone nearby to hear. Let them all know how precious and dear her mother was to her.

She kept playing, hoping that the music would reach her under all of that dirt. That she'd be moved by her daughter's playing, enough to put a smile on her face. Regardless if she was dead.

As she came to the end of the song, she started to cry. Her mom had done more for her than she could ever imagine. This and living life to the fullest was how she would pay her back. To prove to her that she would still be strong in the face of adversity. Smiling, she finished, tears streaming down her face.

"Farewell mom, thank you for everything."