Promise Me - Chapter Four

Logged in this morning to see I have made it onto the What's Hot list, lower end of the spectrum but I'm still there lol Thank you to all who have voted and commented, means a lot to me. Thanks again :)

Chapter Four

Jack woke early the next morning, standing in the kitchen sipping on his coffee; he gazed out of the window staring at the main house. Today he would go into the town, hit the grocery store, see what locals he could bump in to and try to get some leads on the missing girl. He picked up his phone, time to phone Bruce and check in.

"Where the hell have you been and why the hell haven't you checked in sooner? Do you know how worried you've had me?" Bruce yelled, Jack held the phone away from his ear.

"Good morning to you to Sir," chuckled Jack, "I didn't check in because I was tired, do you know how long it took me to find this goddamn place, and you didn't tell me I'd be living in a rusty old tin!"  Answered Jack, but all his boss did was laugh. Jack returned his gaze to the window, he saw Alex stretching out on the front porch, the light breeze running through her hair. She wore a vest and a pair of the tiniest shorts he'd ever seen on a woman, her body tan and toned. Hell, she must work out Jack thought, Alex must have felt him watching, she stared right at him and flipped him off. Oh she was in trouble for that, he'd make sure of it, he grinned and waved at her. She started walking over to his trailer, great he'd pissed her off. He put the phone back to his ear, hearing Bruce curse if he was still connected.

"Jack are you still there?"

"Yeah I'm here; look I'm going to have to call you later, someone's here." With that Jack hung up, threw the phone onto the side and sauntered out of the trailer just as Alex got there.

Alex drew in a breathe, as she watched Jack exit his trailer, he ran his hand through his hair, his chest bare wearing nothing but a pair of jeans, and nothing on his feet. 'It should be illegal for a man to look as good as that.' She thought.

"See something you like Sweetheart?" Jack teased, Alex felt her face flush, and she struggled to regain her composure. Never had she worked so hard to keep her feelings in check, she pushed her hair back from her face, looking Jack square in the eye.

"I don't appreciate having you ogle me first thing in the morning, and then flippantly waving to me as if you have every right to do so," Alex said, groaning internally, how the hell had she managed to lose her cool. No-one ever got to her.

"Hell I was just looking at the scenery Sweet-Cheeks, when you happened to wonder in my view, and lets not forget the fact that you flipped me off, I just waved being friendly, and less than a few minutes ago as I recall you too were enjoying the scenery." Jack winked at her and smiled, showing his dimple. Alex felt herself getting angry, no way would she retaliate.

"I don't have time for this shit!" she stormed off, the best thing she could do was keep away from him, he wouldn't be around long, nothing in this town should appeal to him, she just had to stay out of his way until he packed up and left.

"Son of a bitch!" cursed Jack, what the hell did he have to do to please the woman, yes he'd teased her but he was just trying to lighten the mood. The woman couldn't walk around being pissed twenty four hours of the day could she?

"Alex I'm sorry," he called running after her, "I'm just trying to be friendly, seems me and you have gotten off on the wrong foot, let me take you somewhere for breakfast, my way of apologising." He stopped in front of her, raising his hands to put them on her arms but thought better of the action and kept his hands by his side. She stared right through him; there was no feeling in her eyes it was as though she had switched off.