{50} cool. cool.

EVERYTHING WAS FUZZY, AND DARK. And there was a pressure building in his head; like he was finally coming to the surface after being held under the water for too long.

Slowly, Peter blinked open his eyes and was hit with fluorescent lights that made him squint- but they weren't the ones he was used to seeing on the cracked ceiling of his cell. Confusion flitted across his face as he shifted on the bed, noticing the distinct lack of springs digging into his back but a soft blanket that had been tucked carefully around him.

The unfamiliar surrounding was enough to get Peter's heart rate to spike. Where am I?

He drew in a sharp breath, hands curling into the covers to stop their shaking as he glanced around the room, noticing various medical machines surrounding him. They made his skin crawl when he followed the wires to see them attached to him. With sluggish movements, Peter managed to free himself from the contraptions and weakly pushed back the blankets- he finally noted the bandages covering his sternum and the dull pain that was blossoming there.

"Mister Peter you're awake. How are you feeling?" Announced a voice.

On instinct, Peter's hands twitched but he forced himself to remain as still as possible whilst his eyes darted about, searching for the source but there was no one else in the room.

"You are at the avengers tower in the medical wing." Jarvis explained, voice soft and calming.

Realisation hit Peter like a truck, and he sucked in a sudden breath. He was free- it hadn't been a dream. Tears quickly brimmed in his eyes as he swallowed, struggling to escape the blankets and swing his legs over the side of the bed. He needed to move- needed to breathe- and he couldn't do that from a hospital bed.

"I would advise you stay in bed. I can contact Miss Romanoff if you'd like."

Peter ignored the advice and was already hobbling his way across the room, one hand placed lightly on his bandaged torso as he moved. He grimaced at every determined step. "What happened?" He croaked out, heaving in a breath as he reached the balcony doors and pushed them open once Jarvis unlocked them, albeit reluctant to agree to the silent request.

"The avengers located you at the Hydra base and rescued you." Peter tensed at the mention of Hydra. He could still hear Helen's voice echoing in his head. "In the process, a gunshot went off and you saved Mister Barton's life." Memories of the rescue slowly came back to Peter as he slumped against the railing, knuckles white with the way he clutched the bar to stop himself from sinking to the floor.

Clint and Barney had been there. Had broken him out of his cell and given him back his hearing- Peter's hand drifted to the hearing aid that now fit snugly against his ears. After a moment, he dropped his head and relished in the feeling of the cool breeze washing over his skin and the sound of the world around him. Two months had passed without seeing the sky.

Two months without fresh air. Two months of fear.

It was silent for a few minutes as Peter simply breathed. He was oblivious to the tears that had streamed down his face in that small time, tainted by a mixture of grief and happiness.

"Peter?" Came a voice. It was soft and cautious, and Peter's body relaxed instantly.

All of his strength went into turning his body to look at the boy next to him- the air was knocked from his lungs. "Harley." He choked, the relief he felt was almost enough to knock him over when his gaze raked over the teenager stood in front of him; eyes wide with clear concern and something else shining within them. Then he was stepping closer, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend because it had been too damn long without him; Harley hunched over Peter, trying to shield his body with his own as if that would stop any more damage being inflicted on him.

He'd never been more grateful being the taller of them.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Peter heaved in a broken breath as he pressed his face into Harley's chest, clutching onto him like he was a lifeline; like he was the only thing keeping him afloat in a sea of endless misery. "I'm sorry I left. I didn't want to, and I didn't mean to make you worry or, or- fuck- I'm so sorry. Just stay, please. I don't want to lose you- I need you."

"You've got me darlin'." Harley whispered soothingly, pressing a kiss to his temple.

Minutes passed of Peter trying to mould himself into Harley's body while Harley mumbled reassurances in his ear. The relief both of them felt was tangible in the air.

Eventually, they pulled away at the sound of someone clearing their throat from the doorway.

"Glad to see you're awake." Natasha commented warmly- her hair was still wet from her shower, making her look soft around the edges when her lip quirked. "Trust you to wake up at a time when I was showering." She muttered fondly, pushing away the guilt mounting in her chest at the fact that he had woken up alone in an unfamiliar place.

"I'll go and find the old man." Harley mumbled, squeezing Peter's hand before leaving.

For a moment, Peter watched him go as Natasha sidled up next to him, taking the space beside him as she leaned on the railing. The teen followed suit and rested his arm against hers. "You scared me for a minute there." Natasha whispered, sneaking a glance at the boy beside her. He looked like he'd been dragged through hell and back and then some.

Peter rested his head on her shoulder, feebly trying not to slump into her from sheer exhaustion- who knew standing was so tiring?

Natasha huffed playfully and wrapped an arm around him, tugging him firmly into her side.

"I've got to keep you on your toes." He murmured, burying his face into her hair whilst fighting back another fresh round of tears, god he'd missed her. Natasha bit down on her lip as she blinked in quick succession, forcing away the lump in her throat while she ran her fingers through his hair.

"Let's not do it for a while, kid. Think you might have made everyone age about ten years."

She snickered, relieved when Peter let out a small huff of laughter himself. "Cool." He grinned, pulling away to look up at the woman he associated home with.

He'd never been gladder to be in her arms than in that moment.

"Cool." She echoed, the word getting caught in her throat as she ruffled his hair and squeezed him tighter- no one was taking her kid again.

~ Le Fini ~

This is the final chapter! Thank you for all of the support and the nice comments- they made writing this story all the more better.

I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! And I am looking into maybe writing a sequel so let me know if that's something you're interested in, and if you have anything you want to see explored like characters or a small plotline and I'll see what I can do! :)

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! Thanks for reading! Xoxo.