Chapter 5: Manifestation

Start from the beginning

Gordon looked at him with a smile while he continued, "Even though I have done the impossible, there is no doubt that my greatest creation is my children. They are everything to me, my blood, sweat, and equity. If there even came a time when I had to choose between them and my life, I'd sacrifice my life for them."

Caldor gazed into his friend's eyes and held his shoulders firmly. What came next was astounding, "Look, Gordon, If something happened to them, even in death, my spirit would not rest knowing full well that my sacrifices to protect them were in vain."

He struck the squared-like structure with force to let out his frustration. It soon became apparent that his conscious consumed him. It's not surprising, though, because he now knew what Caldor meant by those words.

"Enough, what's done is done. I cannot go back to fix my mistakes. I am an elite soldier; remorse is nothing but a weakness. I will deliver Caldor's children to the Council, and nothing will stop me!" Gordon exclaimed, trying his best not to divert from his goal.

***********

Sam was gone for three days, traveling to the Arctic. After finally getting to the blue city, New York, Barney landed the aircraft at the airfield. Meanwhile, Jonathan was cleaning the marble table at the Penthouse. Once the elevator doors opened, he was filled with joy.

"Welcome back, Master Austin."

"Good to see you, Jon. I have so much to tell you." Sam said with a smile.

The two enveloped each other with an embrace.

"Mariko called," Jonathan said as they broke away from the embrace.

"Oh really? What did she say?" He asked excitedly, as a smile crossed his face

"That she's coming to New York to finalize the deal that you and the Watanabes' have been working on for the last four years," Jonathan replied. 

"I can't wait," he replied with an ingratiating smile.

Sam then walked toward the glass wall and watched over the city, "Jonathan, could you tell me more about my late father? Who is he? Does he have any secrets or even kids with someone I'm unaware of?"

Jonathan stepped forward and answered, "Quite frankly, sir, I may have worked with your father for decades and served him. As for secrets, I do not know of any. What I do know is that he is a good man. He worked hard to make Austin Industries what it is today."

He nodded and pursed his lips, "I see," He answered.

However, Jonathan could perceive trouble taking hold of his heart.

"If I may? Why do you ask me of this so suddenly? Have you not spent enough time with him?"

Sam tucked his hands in his pockets and answered, "Just asking."

He turned to face Jonathan, "Anyways, could you leave the company in Phillip's hands while I'm gone." 

Jonathan furrowed his eyebrows and said, "I do not understand. You are already here. Why should Philip cover for you?" 

Sam approached him and placed his hand on his shoulder. He was in a bit of a trance. But eventually, he replied to his inquiry, "Let's just say I'll be on a hiatus for the next few weeks."

Jonathan spoke out of concern, "But sir, as the C.E.O., you can't choose to walk in and out of the company as you please. You need to take full responsibility for Austin Industries." 

"Trust me on this. There is something important that I need to do."

************

The sun packed her luggage and was ready to depart as Dallas' sky was drenched with orange and scarlet hues. She told the residents she would return the following morning to comfort them. She shouted her farewell as the sky turned inky black.