Chapter 18: Patient and Keen

Start from the beginning

"Well?" she says, turning this way and that.

"I loathe you," Alina responds with a smile.

"I wish I were into women," I reply with a sigh.

"I do look remarkable," she says, admiring herself in the mirror over the basin.

"You'd look even better with a little humility," jokes my twin.

"I doubt that. Why aren't either of you dressed?" she asks, taking a break from marveling at her own reflection to notice we are both still in robes.

"Our keftas haven't arrived," I reply.

"Oh, well, the Fabrikators have been a bit overwhelmed with the Queen's requests. I'm sure they will get here. Now Alina, sit down in front of the mirror so I can do your hair."

My sister practically squeals with excitement, but I manage to restrain myself. We both were hoping Genya would offer to do our hair but we didn't want to ask.

"Still nothing from Mal," the redhead casually mentions.

I look towards Alina as she responds, "You don't have to update me anymore. I'm sure you've got enough on your plate."

"Precisely! I thought you would have your hands full helping the Queen," I state.

She rolls her amber eyes, "You have no idea. The Queen, Her Royal Bossiness, Tatiana, has absolutely no regard for my need to sleep. She woke before dawn and demanded I touch up her face before the rest of her team arrived."

"Hmm, needy," I say with a nod.

Genya doesn't look away from Alina but she lets out a huff, "I know! And I can only do so much. I spent an hour removing her crow's feet. Then her highness decided she doesn't feel up to attending the ball tonight. She has a headache."

I scoff not believing for one second that the Queen won't go. But Alina asks, "So she's not going?"

"Of course she's going! She just wants her ladies to fuss over her so she can feel even more important. This is the biggest event of the season. She wouldn't miss it for the world."

"I can accidentally blind her in the demonstration, if you like," I suggest in an all too serious tone.

Everyone laughs but then Genya mumbles, "I don't mind, actually. It tends to shift the King's gaze in her direction. At least until nightfall."

While I attempt to calm the anger I feel towards the King, Alina changes the subject, "Let's just say the Fold is gone. What then? Ravka will be revived. The Second Army won't be as necessary. Grisha will have new opportunities."

"I've always wanted to travel the world. See the True Sea. Visit the library at the University of Ketterdam," I answer whimsically. 

"Mal always talked about retiring to a farm. I never really liked farms. But perhaps a dacha in Balakirev, with a spare room for you, Lana," my twin says.

"Assuming Saints get to retire," Genya gently reminds us.

"Right. Yeah, there's that," Alina mumbles.

Then the redhead ushers my sister out of the chair and places me in it. As she begins her work she asks, "Nervous?"

"A little," my twin and I respond.

"I don't know why," Alina continues.

"Maybe because a few hundred nobles are waiting to get their first look at both of you," Genya replies.

"Thanks. That really helps," my twin mumbles.

"You're very welcome," she says, giving my hair a tug, "What's on your mind?"