Chapter 13 - Front Desk Mayhem

"I still can't believe that Jimmy actually confessed to you!"

Carry hugged my pillow tightly as we both sat on my bed the evening after my encounter with Jimmy. Of course, I told Carry about it right after it happened, or more the very next instant that I saw her, which was an hour later when I crossed her in the elevator as she was headed down from the fifth floor.

"I know," I said as I sat across from her as I braided my long black hair. I was in my purple nightgown. Carry was in the pink blouse and gray skirt that she wore back from work. She just came to my place instead of going to her own. "He's had feelings for me all this time and I had no idea. And the time that I find it out, it's..."

I finished my braid and let it fall against my front on the right side. "When you are involved with another man," Carry finished.

"Yes. What if I found out about Jimmy's feelings earlier, like a few months into my job at the hotel? We would be a couple for a long time by now, and by the time Elvis shows up and expresses interest in me, I would have to reject him since I would have Jimmy." I let out a huff. "But that that's not the case. The universe really hates me."

"The universe, God, whatever. It doesn't matter. The point is, you have two great men after you, one of which is the guy you've liked for three years, and the other is a really famous actor and singer. This should be a huge complement to you."

I nodded. "Yeah, it is, but it's so complicated."

"I don't see what's complicated in choosing between a star and a guy you work with."

"They're both great men, and... I guess I already have a big thing with Elvis. Jimmy doesn't know that, though. He thinks I rejected him because I'm too distracted that Elvis is around. I didn't say I went on a date with the man."

"On a lone rooftop with a romantic view of the Space Needle where you two talked, kissed, and danced as he sang to you."

I saw the twinkle in her blue eyes. "It seems like a dream, doesn't it?"

"It does. And I don't think you lied to Jimmy, you just left some details out."

"Hiding things is a form of lying."

"Just let it all pan out the way it should, okay?

I fiddled with the hairs at the end of my long braid. "Yeah, okay."

I was still not too sure about this. Maybe I should tell Jimmy the real reason why I rejected him when I had feelings for him before. It would only be fair.

My heart nearly jolted out of me at the sudden ringing of the telephone in my room. We had one in the living room, my parents' room, and my room. Yes, three phones in such a small place was a bit much, be we liked to make sure the phone was answered. My heart started speeding at who could be on the other line, calling at a little after eight at night.

"Well, aren't you going to answer it?" Carry demanded. "What if it's Elvis?"

"I know, I know," I rushed and got up from the bed and went to the little table next to my bed. Carry got up and stood beside me, her head near mine. I took up the white phone handle and put it up to my ear after clearing my throat. "Kim residence."

"Hello, is this Miss Amy Kim?"

A female voice, a familiar one. My heartrate eased down, and Carry and I exchanged glances that asked why on Earth would our superior be calling me this late.

"Yes, it is," I said, curious as to what this was all about.

"Hello, Miss Kim. This is Mrs. Hewitt."

"Hello. Good evening."