Grand Opening- Chapter 21

Start from the beginning

"So....are you going to tell me why you're in LA now ?"

He flashed his award-winning smile again but this time with a hint of ambiguity. I was intrigued and wanted to know more.

"There's nothing to really tell Kendra. I mean I changed my mind. A man can't change his mind?"

"Not a man like you Micheal.  Your profession is literally based on your calculated decision making. Decisions that are based on your mind and thoughts. If you changed your mind all the time you'd be a lousy businessman"

"My profession is about taking risks"

"The right risks"

"Risks none the less"

"Mmhmm, so what's her name?" I say as I begin to sip my coffee.

"Wow, a brother  can't make a conscious decision to move to another state without a woman being involved?"

"Yeah, a brother can. But you can't"

"And why's that ?"

"Because I know you. You were so set on what you wanted to do. You wanted to take that internship in Baltimore and build up the company. Then become the youngest in the firms' history to make partner. The reason I think a woman is involved is that the right woman can make a man do anything. Even if he's never known how to move mountains, for her, he will try."

He looked stunned by my explanation but he knew I was right.

"I won't lie, the power of a woman is a powerful thing. One day you're completing business transactions and living out your dreams and the other days, you ask yourself how you went this long without her in your life. But anyway enough about me. What about you Miss Evans?"

"What about me ?"

"Any closer to marriage, kids, and the Picket white fence?"

I take a moment and think about my present relationship status and in all honestly no I wasn't any closer to marriage, kids, or the white picket fence.

I am head over heels in love with a man that isn't willing to give me all I need right now.

Let's be honest.

"In all honesty, no. I'd say I'm no closer to any of those things" and with that, I continued to sip my coffee.

We spent the rest of our time, talking and laughing about how naive we were in our younger days. How we had the world at our fingertips and were still trying to figure out who we were.

The time was now 4 pm which meant we had literally been sitting in that coffee shop for four hours.

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure if I still wanted to go to Darius' stupid opening but I wanted to put myself in a position where I had the choice and time to think before it was too late.

So we said our goodbyes and exchanged numbers. Even though it was lovely seeing him, I didn't hold my breath for him to text or call me.

In fact, I'll probably never hear or see him again.

- 4 pm
Warehouse

Darius