Chapter Forty-Seven: The Dangerous Plan

Luo Jian approached Weisheng as soon as he left the throne room.  The prince took his friend's arm and pulled him quickly into the shadow of a nearby building.

"Well?" he asked.

"It's done."

Weisheng leaned back against the wall and closed his eyes.  He cast his mind back to just a few hours earlier...

***

Weisheng raced through the orchard, his heart pounding with more than just exertion.  Reaching the forest, he pushed his way through the branches until he came to the small clearing where he had left the unconscious woman not even an hour previously.

Both Lin Yang and Xiao Yu were bending over her motionless form, Ling Xin Fu standing beside them.  He rushed to Ming Yue's side, Luo Jian only two steps behind him, and took hold of her hand as he looked up at his friends, fearing the worst.  He was about to ask the dreaded question, when something stopped him.

Ming Yue's hand.  It was no longer icy cold.  Cool, yes, but not cold.  He raised his eyes, and they met Lin Yang's.  She smiled.

"The antidote was ready earlier than I expected.  I administered it a few minutes ago and it looks to be working quickly.  We thought you should be here in case she wakes up."

Weisheng looked across to Xiao Yu for confirmation.  He nodded.

"Her condition is steadily improving.  I'd say she's out of the woods now."  He paused for a moment, suddenly aware of the unintentional irony of his words.

"But," he continued, "I'm not going to lie to you.  It was touch and go, even with the extra...help."  He took a quick glance at the trees surrounding them.

Weisheng looked around at the four people who had contributed so much to saving Ming Yue's life, and fought back the tears of relief forming in his eyes.

"Thank you, all of you.  I do not know how I can possibly repay you."

Xiao Yu was the first to break the silence.

"Nonsense.  The three of us are medical practitioners.  Saving lives is what we do.  And as for Luo Jian, well, he's just...Luo Jian, isn't he?"

The physician hurriedly changed the subject when he saw the young captain raising an eyebrow in his direction.

"Now, I suggest we get the young lady off the cold ground and back under some cover.  I will continue to monitor her progress from there."

Not needing to be told twice, Weisheng leaned over and pulled Ming Yue into his arms, resisting the urge to crush her against his chest to feel the comforting hint of warmth now slowly starting to emanate from her pale skin.  The five of them then made their way back towards the canopy at the edge of the orchard, where they found Eunuch Wang waiting.

After depositing his precious cargo on the bed, Weisheng turned around.

"Ming Yue should be fine."

Eunuch Wang visibly sagged with relief.

"But the threat is not over," the prince continued.  "Someone has taken a huge risk in trying to get rid of me inside the grounds of the palace itself, and I have been too complacent until now.  I have spoken to Minister Shen about my suspicions but instructed him to tell no one else about what has happened."

The chief eunuch frowned.

"Your Highness, with all due respect I disagree.  I think the best course of action for you is to inform His Majesty as soon as possible that your secretary has been poisoned."