Chapter 3 - Ice Prison

Warning: This chapter contains mentions of abuse and violence. Read at your own discretion. 

How noisy.

You thought irritably as you walked through the mess hall. Charlotte usually delivered your meals to your room due to the workload that you had as a squad leader, but she had injured her wrist while breaking up a fight between the recruits during training and was now being treated in the infirmary.

The noise of the mess hall rang unpleasantly in your ears. The new recruits were just as undisciplined as ever.

What a bother.

"(Name)," Hange waved you over.

"What is it?" you asked emptily.

"Listen, listen! Yesterday, I found out something new about the titans—"

You left before she finished her sentence.

"H-hey! (Name)!" Hange called after you.

"D-did she say (Name)?" a new recruit whispered.

"No way. The (First Name) (Last Name)?"

"Huh? (First Name) (Last Name) was the squad leader from earlier?"

"She lost to Levi? No way!"

You stopped. What were the new recruits going on about?

"That girl? For real?"

"Yeah, she's known everywhere as humanity's coldest soldier."

"Why?"

"Obviously because she doesn't care about anything or anyone!"

"Seriously? Does she have no feelings at all?!"

"Perhaps," you interrupted their conversation.

The recruits gasped and averted their eyes guiltily. "T-the thing is, w-we—"

"Save it," you said coldly.

Having lost your appetite, you stepped out of the mess hall and into the cold night air after giving the new recruits a chilling glare. Humanity's coldest soldier...So that was how others saw you.

Well, you weren't surprised. After all, ever since then, you hadn't thought about anything but revenge. You had imprisoned your feelings in a shield of ice, locking out everyone around you without exception. Ever since...

"Oi" a familiar voice said, stopping you from finishing your thought.

"What?" you asked the raven-haired male leaning against the doorway of the mess hall without turning to look at him.

"What exactly is your relationship with Erwin Smith?" Levi asked, turning a knife from the mess hall over in his hands.

"Why exactly is it your concern?" you asked, turning to face him and crossing your arms.

Levi glared at you before straightening and pocketing his knife.

He made to leave, but not before he addressed you again. "It would be best that you stay clear of him," Levi said, "if you want to avoid being hurt."

"And what puts you in the position to order me to do that?"

"I don't recall giving you an order," Levi responded cooly, before walking away.

You stayed silent for a moment before calling after him.

"Why don't you cooperate with the Commander?" you suggested, "you seem fit for a high position in the Survey Corps."