Chapter 2 - Who Are You?

Start from the beginning

~•~✾~•~

You watched the recruits fight on the field, your body stiff from having stood for so long. The purpose of this exercise was to test their hand to hand combat skills. Unfortunately, you noted that many weren't taking the exercise seriously.

"Leon," you addressed a member of your squad. The white-blonde haired male glanced at you, as you continued, "watch over the recruits on the left. Be rough with them if necessary."

"What about me?" Charlotte asked. She was a young girl with short blonde pigtails. Though she hadn't been a soldier for long, she was eager to carry out her duties.

"Take the left with Leon," you said, walking over to the recruits on the right.

"C-cr*p! That Squad Leader is watching!" one of the recruits who had been slacking off hissed.

"Seriously?! Pretend you're doing something! Quick!" They scrambled into position, but it was too late.

"I can hear you," you said, walking over.

"Sh*t! U-uh...you see, we—"

"Not interested," you interrupted, snatching the wooden sword from their hands, "show me what you've learned." You lowered yourself into a defensive stance. "Attack."

The recruits looked nervously at each other.

"Both of you."

"A-are you sure? We don't want to injure you."

"Tch," you straightened, "who do you think I am? Some kind of damsel? Hurry up."

They didn't seem to be told twice, seeing as the recruits ran at you before you could get back into a defensive stance.

Oh well.

You kicked one's legs out from under him. You grabbed the other by the shoulders and launched yourself over him, kicking him in the back as you did so.

Then two remained motionless on the ground, groaning in pain.

"If you want to survive, you have to handle at least this much," you said, dropping the wooden sword by their heads, "and if you can't learn the importance of battling someone hand-to-hand like this, don't think you have the liberty to be here."

You walked away, glaring at a few recruits, who averted their eyes and continued their training immediately.

Looking around, you caught sight of Isabel and Farlan engaged in combat...or something that looked like it. You decided to let them off for now. Their skills weren't half decent in your opinion, but at least they were making an effort. You frowned. But where was Levi? They wouldn't go anywhere without him.

That was when you spotted him leaning nonchalantly against the trunk of a tree. He looked uninterested, and a little bored.

You held out your hand to two recruits who stood nearby you. They handed you their wooden sword quickly, stepping back in fear. Without wasting a moment, you launched the weapon towards the tree Levi was leaning against, throwing it with such force that the blade stuck in the tree, a mere inch from Levi's head.

Levi blinked, seeming unaffected, as you walked over to him.

"What exactly do you think you're doing?" you asked quietly.

"It would be a waste of time for me to join this childish fray," he replied.

"Childish...huh?" you repeated.