She works the 11pm late-night newscast

(Please leave a comment if you enjoyed it)

It was 12am, she's usually home by now. I'm watching an episode of Jersey Shore, killing time with some trash TV as I was waiting for Sophia to walk through our door.

She works the 11 pm late-night newscast and leaves the news station by 11:40 pm, it's about a 15min drive home, and 5mins to walk from our car in the parkade up the south stairwell to our top floor condo. We live in the corner unit, the elevator is central and out of the way, the stairs are closer and Sophia prefers to get in a workout whenever she can. She says "it keeps her butt tight and legs firm."

I never miss an episode of the news, especially with her on it, i end up watching her twice in a night, because i always record it, watch it once live, and watch it together with her as we go over a play by play about how she did while having a late-night after-work snack.

She's usually home by now though.

'Ding' I get a text

"hun, I'm running late, just having a conversation with one of my coworkers. Don't wait up."

Unusual, but I shrugged it off as I had a ton of catching up to do with my work as well.

I'm one of those husbands that won't start eating until I'm sitting down with my wife, one that will always greet her at the door when she arrives, obviously I was going to wait up anyways. I show my love through acts of kindness.

I popped open my laptop and slouched on my leather couch. I started checking over some projects I had on the go. I run a software company so my days consist of project management, checking-in on my teams of coders, making sure deliverables are being completed for clients, and updating clients, and sometimes cleaning up the bugs left behind by my team. It's not something I enjoy doing, but I do what it takes to push projects forward to the finish line.

When I'm in the zone and hyper focused, time just flies by. I sunk deeper in my couch. I know it's time to take a break when my neck and back start to hurt. I checked the clock in the corner of my MacBook, 2:30am, and rubbed my eyes, as I was sitting in the darkness, I got up to stretch the pains out.